From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

CRC NEWS Update: CRC accepts Bremer's resignation

From "Henry Hess" <hessh@crcna.ca>
Date Tue, 2 Aug 2005 17:17:38 -0400

Calvin L. Bremer has resigned as the executive director of the Back to
God Hour and as the executive director-designee of the Christian
Reformed Church in North America effective July 29, 2005.

The executive committees of the Board of Trustees and the executive
committee of the Back to God Hour, in joint meetings held July 28 and
29, recommended and accepted the resignation on behalf of synod and both
boards.

The decision was precipitated by information received that caused the
members of the executive committees to lose confidence in Bremer's
ability to fulfill the leadership requirements that are inherent in the
executive director position.

In his letter of resignation Bremer writes: "I regret that my lack of
good judgment to maintain appropriate boundaries with a colleague in
ministry has caused pain to the church of our Lord Jesus Christ and to
many of you both personally and professionally. Please forgive me for
the pain and injury that my actions have caused to you and to the
witness of the church."

Peter Borgdorff, the CRC's executive director of ministries, said the
development is sad and painful for all concerned. He said that both
executive committees are working to assess the impact of this
development and to seek a path that will move the denomination forward.

"We will rely on the leading of God's Spirit and the good judgment of
God's people as we search for an appropriate course of action,"
Borgdorff said.

"Please pray for Dr. Bremer and his family, the board and personnel of
the Back to God Hour, and for the Board of Trustees of the Christian
Reformed Church as it seeks to guide the denomination through these
regrettable circumstances."

Synod 2005 had appointed Bremer to be executive director of the
Christian Reformed Church effective Aug. 22, 2005. Bremer has been a
pastor in the CRC since 1972, and had spent the past nine years at the
Back to God Hour, the CRC's electronic media ministry.

For further information contact:
Dr. Peter Borgdorff
Executive Director of Ministries
Christian Reformed Church