From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Bishop of ELCA Florida-Bahamas Synod Welcomes Assembly

From "News News" <NEWS@elca.org>
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2005 13:18:08 -0500

Bishop of ELCA Florida-Bahamas Synod Welcomes Assembly
CWA-06-05-TW

ORLANDO, Fla. (ELCA) -- The Rev. Edward R. Benoway, bishop
of the Florida-Bahamas Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church
in America (ELCA) welcomed voting members and guests of the 2005
Churchwide Assembly to Florida Aug. 8 at the opening of the first
plenary session.
The churchwide assembly, the chief legislative authority of
the ELCA, is meeting here Aug. 8-14 at the World Center Marriott
and Convention Center. About 2,300 people are participating,
including 1,018 ELCA voting members. The theme for the biennial
assembly is "Marked with the Cross of Christ Forever."
"We hope that you have time to enjoy the sunshine, the
beaches, the golf courses," said Benoway, "but we have volunteers
ready to steer voting members back to plenary sessions," quipped
the bishop.
Benoway went on to describe the Florida-Bahamas Synod as "an
important mission field." He sited eight new congregations
organized, four restarts and two satellite congregations
established in the last two years, with 30 more ministries still
under consideration, drawing applause from the assembly.
Benoway drew attention as well to the four hurricanes that
struck Florida and the Bahamas beginning a year ago.
"I want to say thank you for your prayers and love and
support," he told the assembly, expressing gratitude for the
gifts of monetary assistance through Lutheran Disaster Response,
the volunteer work teams that came to the synod to help rebuild
churches and homes, and the support that was exchanged from synod
to synod and congregation to congregation.
Benoway went on to present small palm trees that were given
to voting members as a gift from the synod.
"The palm tree is a symbol of Florida, but it's also a
symbol of resilience, able to withstand significant winds," he
said. Similarly, "the church is called to withstand such
forces."
Benoway closed by stating, "We are pleased to be hosting
this assembly where so many decisions are to be made. May God
bless our work together."

Information about the ELCA Churchwide Assembly
is at http://www.elca.org/assembly/05 on the Web.

For more information contact:
http://www.elca.org/news