From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Assembly Hears Strategies To Strengthen Ethnic Ministry

From "News News" <NEWS@elca.org>
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2005 08:45:29 -0500

ELCA Assembly Hears Strategies To Strengthen Ethnic Ministry
CWA-18-05-KK

ORLANDO, Fla. (ELCA) - Two ethnic ministry strategies were
introduced Aug. 10 for consideration by the 2005 Churchwide Assembly
of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). The Arab and
Middle Eastern Ministry Strategy and African Descent Ministry Strategy
continue the ELCA's plan to develop long-range, intentional ministry
strategies for ethnic groups. Prior assemblies have received and
approved an American Indian and Alaska Native Ministry Strategy, Asian
and Pacific Islander Ministry Strategy, and Latino Ministry Strategy.
The churchwide assembly, the chief legislative authority of
the ELCA, is meeting here Aug. 8-14 at the World Center Marriott
and Convention Center. About 2,300 people are participating,
including 1,018 ELCA voting members. The theme for the biennial
assembly is "Marked with the Cross of Christ Forever."
In remarks preceding the 2005 assembly, the Rev. Mark S.
Hanson, presiding bishop, noted that the ELCA is 97 percent
white. This composition still falls short of the denomination's
goal when formed in 1988 to establish membership within 10 years
of 10 percent people of color and/or whose primary language is
other than English.
Membership in all ethnic groups has grown, according to the
Rev. Frederick Rajan, executive director, Commission for
Multicultural Ministries. In 1988, demographic data did not allow
for identification of Arab and Middle Eastern descent; today
around 1,700 baptized members claiming this ethnicity have been
counted on congregational report forms, Rajan said. In 1988,
there were around 49,000 members of African American and Pacific
Islander descent recorded; today around 55,000 have been counted,
said Rajan.
The Rev. Khader El-Yateem serves as pastor at Salam Arabic
Lutheran Church, New York and spoke of the Arab and Middle Eastern
ministry strategy. "This strategy for ministry is to strengthen and
uplift
the ministries that already exist," he said, and provide a "foundation
to start new ministries, train leaders, and build bridges of
understanding and hope."
In hearings, the Rev. Gemechis D. Buba, voting member, ELCA
Southeastern Synod, and pastor of the Oromo Evangelical Church of
Atlanta, Decatur, Ga., observed there are millions of African
immigrants coming to this country, and "the ELCA is way behind.
We need to decentralize our altars - take our altars into the
street." He continued, "I believe this [strategy] will be
proactive ... and I pray and trust we will enjoy the benefits of
that."
---
Information about the ELCA Churchwide Assembly is at
http://www.elca.org/assembly/05 on the Web.

For more information contact:
http://www.elca.org/news