From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Youth Challenge Assembly Voting Members

From "News News" <NEWS@elca.org>
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2005 09:31:19 -0500

ELCA Youth Challenge Assembly Voting Members
CWA-19-05-KB*

ORLANDO, Fla. (ELCA) -- Youth from the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America (ELCA) challenged the Churchwide Assembly
voting members to have a youth voting member from each of the 65
synods at the churchwide assembly in 2007.
The churchwide assembly, the chief legislative authority of
the ELCA, is meeting here Aug. 8-14 at the World Center Marriott
and Convention Center. About 2,300 people are participating,
including 1,018 ELCA voting members. The theme for the biennial
assembly is "Marked with the Cross of Christ Forever."
In a report to the assembly, participants in a youth
convocation challenged voting members "to intentionally involve a
youth voting member from each synod" by the 2007 Churchwide
Assembly, said one participant. Assembly participants responded
to the challenge with a standing ovation.
Forty-two ELCA youth from across the country and the
Caribbean have been meeting throughout the assembly. They are
here to worship, learn about the churchwide assembly, promote
leadership development, attend Bible studies, participate in
small group discussions, and attend hearings and plenary
sessions.
"We have different ethnicities, backgrounds and opinions,"
said one youth. "Yet are all children of God."
"Our opinions and views differ, but we are all connected as
brothers and sisters in the body of Christ," said another youth.
The youth stated that they have enjoyed sharing in the
churchwide assembly and thanked the voting members "for setting a
Christ-like example."
---
Information about the ELCA Churchwide Assembly is at
http://www.elca.org/assembly/05 on the Web.

* Kirsten H. Boettner is a senior communication major at Luther
College, Decorah, Iowa. This summer she is an intern with the
ELCA News Service.

For more information contact:
http://www.elca.org/news