From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Assembly Receives Greetings From Ecumenical Guests

From "News News" <NEWS@elca.org>
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2005 14:07:39 -0500

ELCA Assembly Receives Greetings From Ecumenical Guests
CWA-21-05-KB*

ORLANDO, Fla. (ELCA) -- Representatives from the World
Council of Churches (WCC) and the National Council of Churches of
Christ in the U.S.A. (NCC) shared ecumenical greetings of
togetherness in Christ at the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America (ELCA) Churchwide Assembly here Aug. 11.
The churchwide assembly, the chief legislative authority of
the ELCA, is meeting here Aug. 8-14 at the World Center Marriott
and Convention Center. About 2,300 people are participating,
including 1,018 ELCA voting members. The theme for the biennial
assembly is "Marked with the Cross of Christ Forever."
The Rev. Deborah DeWinter, program executive for the United
States, World Council of Churches, encouraged assembly
participants to attend the ninth assembly of the WCC in Brazil
this February 2006.
Today the ELCA is one of the WCC's 347 member churches, in
some 100 countries around the world, representing 550 million
Christians, DeWinter said.
"Through the ecumenical movement, Christians in North
America and around the world have discovered that together they
can live into God's gift of unity in an enhanced way. (And) that
our service and witness for Christ is enhanced through our unity
in service, in mission," said DeWinter.
The Rev. Robert W. Edgar, general secretary, National
Council of Churches U.S.A., told participants that "every
churchwide assembly has its offering of housekeeping chores and
administrative decisions." Besides this, Edgar added that it is
clear that the ELCA "has its eye on the prize, the high calling
of God in Christ Jesus. You have come together in faith and
fellowship to celebrate that historic calling."
Edgar discussed the importance of unity of all Christians in
the body of Christ. "Together, and only together can we fully
realize our mutual calling to bring all people closer to Christ
and closer to the beloved community that God wished for
humankind," Edgar said.
"The NCC has been grateful for your strong involvement and
support of our own efforts to live out the testimony we share,"
Edgar said.
*-
Information about the ELCA Churchwide Assembly is at http://www.elca.org/assembly/05 on the Web.

* Kirsten H. Boettner is a senior communication major at Luther
College, Decorah, Iowa. This summer she is an intern with the
ELCA News Service.

For more information contact:
http://www.elca.org/news