From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Assembly Told To Make God's Work Serious

From "News News" <NEWS@elca.org>
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2005 07:58:03 -0500

ELCA Assembly Told To Make God's Work Serious
CWA-28-05-MRC

ORLANDO, Fla. (ELCA) -- Under the theme, "The Christ-Marked
Life," the Rev. Ruben Duran told voting members of the 2005
Churchwide Assembly of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
(ELCA) that never before -- in the social experiment we call the
United States -- do Lutherans, as disciples of Christ, have the
opportunity to take God's work seriously in fighting hunger and
eradicating racism.
The churchwide assembly, the chief legislative authority of
the ELCA, is meeting here Aug. 8-14 at the World Center Marriott
and Convention Center. About 2,300 people are participating,
including 1,018 ELCA voting members. The theme for the biennial
assembly is "Marked with the Cross of Christ Forever."
Duran, executive for new congregational development, ELCA
Division for Outreach, led the Bible study Aug. 11, offering some
reflections about the Gospel of John and calling Lutherans to a
life of discipleship -- a "cross-marked life."
"There is something unique about John's purpose in which he
wrote his book," said Duran. "First, John makes it very clear"
and wants people to know "that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of
God."
"John also reminds of us our connection with God, "a
connection with Jesus the vine and us the branch (that) bears
fruit for God's glory," said Duran. "Being connected with God
has to do with indicative verbs, imperative and subjective, in
the text of John."
"An imperative verb is an order, a command. Subjective is
conditional (and) indicative is more of a declaration, a fact --
God says to you today, 'I love you. I forgive you.' This is not
conditional. It is a gift, receive it," said Duran.
"It's interesting how many times the indicative precedes the
imperative of God. Even in the famous verse from (the Gospel of)
Matthew -- 'Go, make disciples of all nations' -- which we use so
much, and rightly so, raises our awareness and our
responsibilities to bear witness and do outreach, grow
congregations and work around the world," Duran told the
assembly.
"A disciple is someone that has an intimate relationship
with Christ, living a life based on those indicatives of God so
clearly spelled out in Scripture," he said. "I urge you, I beg
you, I even order you in God's name to get on with the work with
urgency, (so) people can hear the Good News. We're the ones to
do that," Duran said.
---
Information about the ELCA Churchwide Assembly is at
http://www.elca.org/assembly/05 on the Web.

For more information contact:
http://www.elca.org/news