From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Assembly Learns About the 'Miracle Of Distance Healing'

From "News News" <NEWS@elca.org>
Date Sun, 14 Aug 2005 22:16:19 -0500

ELCA Assembly Learns About the 'Miracle Of Distance Healing'
CWA-50-05-MRC

ORLANDO, Fla. (ELCA) -- The Rev. E. Roy Riley Jr., told
voting members and guests of the 2005 Churchwide Assembly of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) that "we pretty
much mastered the miracle of distance healing."
The churchwide assembly, the chief legislative authority of
the ELCA, met here Aug. 8-14 at the World Center Marriott and
Convention Center. About 2,300 people participated, including
1,018 voting members. The theme of the biennial assembly was
"Marked with the Cross of Christ Forever."
"What we struggle with is looking into each other's eyes and
connecting heart-to-heart to learn what is there, to learn who is
there," said Riley, bishop of the ELCA New Jersey Synod and chair
of the ELCA Conference of Bishops. Riley preached during worship
Aug. 14.
From the Gospel of Matthew, Riley focused on the story about
a Palestinian woman, a Canaanite, who asks Jesus to heal her
"demon-filled" daughter. Jesus, a Jew, turns her away saying he
was sent only for the "lost sheep of the house of Israel."
"Did Jesus actually say that? Can this whole encounter be
any more out of character for the Jesus we thought we knew?"
Riley asked.
"If we are confident about Jesus' true humanity as we about
Jesus' true divinity, then we can believe that Jesus grew up in a
community that taught him boundaries between Gentiles,
Canaanites, Palestinians and Jewish people," Riley said. "As far
as we know this unanticipated visit with the Canaanite woman is
the only time Jesus ventures across this boundary."
Riley said the Canaanite woman's heart is "filled with some
kind of God-given faith that Jesus can save her daughter. And,
upon her persistence and insistence, Jesus looked at her again,
saw a woman of great faith and healed her daughter.
"The experience of it is so dramatic that the healing flows
long distance to wherever her little daughter was lying
helpless," said Riley. "Matthew's Gospel says the sickness left
her instantly. 'Great is your faith' Jesus says to the woman.
'Let it be done for you as you wish.'"
Riley pointed out the "ironic reflection" of Matthew's story
in the Lutheran Church. "We pretty much mastered the miracle of
distance healing" through "Lutheran World Relief, Lutheran
Immigration and Refugee Service, the Lutheran World Federation,
ELCA World Hunger Appeal, International Disaster Relief" as
example, he said.
"We can make jokes about our various pieties" but "there was
a point where Jewish disciples had to get over Jewish piety and
the tradition of the elders, so that they could at least try to
see into the hearts of others the way Jesus would look at them --
with eyes focused by God's amazing grace," Riley told
worshippers.
"In this tiny story, this border incident between Jesus and
a Palestinian woman, is written the promise of healing and life
restored, not just for one mother's child but for the children of
Israel and all God's children to the end of the earth," said
Riley. "We are healed and life is restored, and the gift of
faith that makes it so overflows into acts of love and mercy and
justice and peace and distance healing for the children of Niger
and every child of God."
---
Information about the ELCA Churchwide Assembly is at
http://www.elca.org/assembly/05 on the Web.

For more information contact:
http://www.elca.org/news