From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Edgar urges Bush to attend prayer meeting

From "Philip Jenks" <pjenks@ncccusa.org>
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2005 14:33:54 -0400

EDGAR URGES PEOPLE OF FAITH AND PRESIDENT BUSH
TO ATTEND PRAYERS FOR THE TROOPS THIS FRIDAY

New York, August 16, 2005 -- The General Secretary of the National
Council of Churches is urging President Bush to join with Gold Star
families and religious leaders in an interfaith prayer service outside
the Bush ranch at noon (CDT) Friday,

The prayer service has been called by Gold Star mother Cindy Sheehan "as
an opportunity for Americans and others across the world to pray for our
soldiers in Iraq, their families and in particular the mothers of our
fallen.

Sheehan, along with United Methodist laywoman Celeste Zappala and other
Gold Star mothers, has been waiting outside the Bush compound to meet
with the President since his five-week vacation began.

"I urge the President and the First Lady to join us at this brief and
simple service," said the Rev. Dr. Bob Edgar, NCC General Secretary.
Edgar visited the Gold Star mothers and their families outside the
presidential ranch and conducted a worship service on August 12. The
visit was at the invitation of his fellow United Methodist, Celeste
Zappala, whose son Sherwood was killed in Iraq.

"This war, like any war, has generated terrible losses, immense pain and
sharp divisions in our country," Edgar said. "Each day we see the pain
in the faces of the Gold Star mothers and their families. It's evident
that President Bush, who has faced agonizing decisions in this war,
feels the pain as well."

"Whether or not we agree with Mr. Bush's decisions," Edgar said, "and
whether or not he agrees with us, we can agree that we're all feeling a
heavy burden of grief. Let's suspend the rhetoric for a few minutes on
Friday and join together -- commander-in-chief and families of the
fallen -- to seek strength from the God who sustains us all."

In an open letter to religious leaders August 15, Sheehan urged those
who cannot attend to host a prayer vigil in their cities. "We ask you to
join us in a simultaneous moment of silent prayer to honor all who have
been affected by this war."

The service will take place at "Camp Casey," an impromptu encampment
outside the Bush compound named for Sheehan's son, Casey Sheehan, who
was killed in Baghdad on April 4, 2004. Camp Casey, which displays white
crosses named for those who have been killed in Iraq, has become a
gathering place for Gold Star families and their supporters.

The full text of the Sheehan August 15 letter to religious letters
follows:

Interfaith Prayer Service
Friday August 19, 2005
Noon - U.S. Central Daylight Time,
Camp Casey Memorial
Crawford, TX

Dear Religious Leader:

Family members of fallen soldiers, who have joined me in Crawford, and I
invite you to attend a moment of silent prayer at 12:00 noon (Central
Daylight Time) this Friday, August 19th at Camp Casey just outside the
Presidents' Ranch. We're holding this moment of prayer as an
opportunity for Americans and others across the world to pray for our
soldiers in Iraq, their families and in particular the mothers of our
fallen. We have also invited President Bush and the first lady to join
us in praying for the troops.

Several family members of fallen soldiers have joined with me in
Crawford and will take part in the moment of silent prayer. Outside the
President's ranch we have set up a temporary camp named "Camp Casey" and
a memorial of crosses with names of fallen soldiers has been erected,
which is where the prayer service will take place.

If you cannot attend our service in Crawford, Texas please consider
hosting a prayer vigil in your city. We ask you to join us in a
simultaneous moment of silent prayer to honor all who have been affected
by this war. You are welcome to contact your local media and inform
them of your vigil.

My son, Casey Sheehan, 24, of Vacaville, Calif., died in Baghdad, Iraq,
on April 4, 2004, when his unit was attacked with rocket-propelled
grenades and small arms fire. He was assigned to 1st Battalion, 82nd
Field Artillery Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division, Fort Hood, Texas. When
President Bush began his 5 week vacation, I decided to camp outside his
ranch in hopes of meeting with him to ask some unanswered questions
about the war and the needless loss of lives of so many. Thus far the
President has refused to meet, but my resolve is strong and I will
remain in Crawford until the meeting takes place or his vacation ends.

Thank you in advance for your consideration and support of this
interfaith prayer service.

Respectfully,

Cindy Sheehan
Mother of Casey Sheehan

The National Council of Churches is composed of 36 Protestant, Anglican,
Orthodox, historic African American and peace communions representing 45
million Christians in 100,000 local congregations in the United States.

Contact: NCC News, Philip E. Jenks, 212-870-2252, pjenks@ncccusa.org;
Leslie Tune, 202-544-2350, ltune@ncccusa.org

On the scene contact: Rev. Andrew Weaver, aweaver747@aol.com,
202-920-9296

IF YOU PLAN TO GO: Logistics for travel to Crawford, Texas:

LOCATION:

All attendees are asked to meet at the Crawford Peace House by 10am
sharp on Friday 8/19/05. The Crawford Peace House is located in downtown
Crawford near the blinking light. There are only about 4-5 buildings in
downtown Crawford as it is very small.

CRAWFORD PEACE HOUSE
9142 East 5th Street
Crawford, Texas 76638
(254) 486-0099

Planners are exploring providing buses/transportation out to Camp Casey
where the prayer service will be held.

TRANSPORTATION

You can fly to either Dallas/Ft. Worth airport or the Austin airport. Be
advised-please do not transfer to DFW (Dallas airport) from Austin or
vice-a versa. You can fly to either airport and drive to Crawford in
about 2 hours from either Dallas or Austin. There is limited service to
fly to Waco direct from DFW on American Airlines Eagle. It takes about
30 minutes to drive from Waco to Crawford.

Southwest Airlines does have the cheapest fairs to Texas from anywhere
in the U.S. They fly only into Dallas Love Field as opposed to the
regional DFW airport, as well as the Austin airport.

All participants are asked make your own arrangements to get to Crawford
as we have limited resources, funds, and lack the time to make travel
arrangements for attendees. We are here to help you, answer questions
and are truly honored by your participation.

PRAYER SERVICE

You will be transported from the Peace House to Camp Casey near the Bush
Ranch. You will be dropped 200 yards from the site so that all attendees
can walk in unison past the memorial/row of crosses, and Jewish stars
that stretch along the road. If you have special needs or need
handicapped assistance please let us know. It will be almost 98 degrees
in temperature so please be prepared for hot weather and intense sun. A
short service led by religious leaders and Cindy Sheehan, followed by
five minutes of silence as requested by Ms. Sheehan.

WACO area hotels:

Motel 63120 S. Jack Kultgen Expy (at IH35)
Waco, Texas
(254) 662-4622
Thursday 8 rooms$38 - $45
Friday 14 rooms $45- $51

Rodeway Inn
3912 S. IH35
Waco Tx
(254) 662-3320
Thursday 5 rooms $79
Friday 5 rooms $79

Comfort Inn
1430 IH-35 South
Waco Tx
(254) 752-1991
Thursday 10 rooms $79
Friday 10 rooms $79

Best Western Old Main Lodge
I-35 & 4th Street
Waco Tx.
(254) 753 0316
Thursday 25 rooms $64 - $76
Friday 40 rooms $64 - $76

Best Inn & Suites
3829 Franklin Ave.
Waco Tx.
(254) 754-0363
Thursday & Friday 10 rooms $55

IF YOU CANNOT ATTEND:

If you cannot attend our service in Crawford, Texas please consider
hosting a prayer vigil in your city. Please feel free to plan your own
service where and how you wish to. We ask you to join us in a
simultaneous moment of silent prayer to honor all who have been affected
by this war at 12:00p.m. (CDT). You are welcome to contact your local
media and inform them of your vigil.

For additional logistical information contact Abbe Delozier,
adelozier@ev1.net

Philip E. Jenks
Interim Director of Media Relations
National Council of Churches USA