From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ARCHBISHOP DEMETRIOS EXPRESSES CONDOLENCES FOLLOWING CRASH OF

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:07:33 -0700

GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA
8-10 East 79th St. New York, NY 10021
Tel: (212) 570-3530 Fax: (212) 774-0215
Web: http://www.goarch.org
Email: communications@goarch.org

For Immediate Release
August 18, 2005

Contact: Nikki Stephanopoulos
Tel. 212-570-3530
Email: communications@goarch.org

ARCHBISHOP DEMETRIOS EXPRESSES CONDOLENCES
TO PRESIDENT OF CYPRUS FOLLOWING CRASH OF FLIGHT 522

New York, NY -- Following the tragic crash of flight 522 on August 14 and
the death of all 121 passengers and crew, His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios
of America expressed condolences to His Excellency Tassos Papadopoulos, the
President of Cyprus. The plane was en route to Athens from Cyprus when it
crashed into a mountain north of Athens near the historic town of Marathon.

In a letter to Mr. Papadopoulos, His Eminence stated:

"Being in deep sorrow, I have the painful honor to communicate with Your
beloved Excellency in order to express the heartfelt condolences of myself
and of the entire flock of the Holy Archdiocese of America for the sudden
death of the many people during yesterdayâ??s tragic air crash.

Immediately after we received word of the sad occurrence we offered a
Trisagion for the repose of the souls of the victims of this unexpected
tragedy. We wholeheartedly share in your grief and pray intensely for the
blessed memory and eternal repose of the souls of the victims of this
terrible accident and for the God-sent comfort and moral support of their
families.

As always, you have my warmest wishes and prayers for success in your
difficult and indeed great and sacred task and for the well-being of the
most beloved Cypriot people."