From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[UMNS-ALL-NEWS] UMNS# 460-African communicators meet,

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2005 12:08:31 -0500

African communicators meet, share ideas for future

Aug. 19, 2005

NOTE: Photographs, audio and a sidebar, UMNS story #461, are available
at http://umns.umc.org.

By Kathy L. Gilbert*

MUTARE, Zimbabwe (UMNS) - Most United Methodist communicators in Africa
work without access to a working landline phone, Internet,
transportation and, in some cases, reliable electricity.

For church communicators in many African countries, a pen, paper and
even a chair are sometimes hard to find.

Identifying communications challenges and solutions was the subject of a
two-day consultation held July 20-21 at Africa University. The meeting
was the first to bring together 13 annual conference communicators
representing nine African countries - and speaking three languages - to
look at ways to advance communications.

The meeting was sponsored by United Methodist Communications, in
cooperation with the university, as part of the Central Conference
Communications Initiative approved by the 2004 General Conference.

The United Methodist Church's legislative assembly approved the
initiative to develop communication structure in the conferences outside
the United States. Working in partnership with central conference church
leaders, United Methodist Communications is helping those areas not only
meet their own needs but also the needs of the larger church "for
hearing, embracing and sharing life-transforming stories," said Barbara
Nissen, director of UMCom's Communications Resourcing Team.

"The leaders of the church in Africa have told us their ministry is
hindered by the inability of church leaders and members to communicate
with each other in a timely and accessible way," said the Rev. Larry
Hollon, top executive of the communications agency.

"The need for the church to share information about a whole range of its
concerns - from day-to-day to emergency circumstances - requires more
effective communication ability," he said. "We are working with the
African church to create a reliable, efficient communications
infrastructure with trained communicators."

Nissen and fellow team member Tafadzwa Mudambanuki led the African
communicators through problem solving and dreaming about what it would
mean to have a fully functioning communication center on the continent.

"I envision communication centers established throughout the United
Methodist Church in Africa, Asia and Europe, and the entire church would
be connected globally, all part of one family," Mudambanuki said.

Barriers to communication

During the two days, communicators shared their frustration with trying
to cover large conferences without proper equipment or budgets for
financing newsletters, newspapers or other forms of communication.

"Everything has stopped because of the war," said Manisha Marve from
Burundi. "There are not even any roads." Burundi has been plagued by
tension between the dominant Tutsi minority and the Hutu majority since
independence in 1961. The government and the United Nations are working
to disarm thousands of soldiers and former rebels.

The communicators' dreams for a functioning center include proper
equipment, Web sites with links to each country, a system of getting
information to flow from the local churches to the conferences and then
to the global church, well-trained personnel and financial stability.

Communicators also agreed on the need to emphasize the importance of the
"ministry of communication" with bishops and other church leaders.

"Leadership needs to place a value on communication," said Andra
Stevens, communications director for Africa University. "Communicators
need to help leaders be sensitized to the value of communicators."

Sharing the gospel

Africa has a "culture of communication," Bishop Eben Nhiwatiwa told the
communicators at the end of the meeting. Nhiwatiwa is bishop of the
church's Zimbabwe Area. "It is part and parcel of the gospel to go and
share," he said.

"In Africa, don't despair; be creative, be resourceful."

During the next four years, the initiative will identify and begin
responding to central conference communications needs. "One size will
not fit all," Nissen said. "Through the initiative, we have begun to
work with conference leaders in each episcopal area to identify needs
and approaches to building and enhancing communication infrastructure in
the church.

"From what we're hearing in Africa, we hope to help equip each area with
the tools and training needed to run a viable communications center or
workstation," Mudambanuki said. "At the same time, we're looking at how
community radio or ham radios could strengthen the outreach of the
church."

Consultations with other central conferences, including those in Europe
and Asia, are being planned for 2006.

Training workshops are being planned in Africa to provide skills in
computer software, journalism, writing skills, public relations, desktop
publishing, photojournalism, Web design, newspaper design, newsletter
design, video editing skills, radio ministry and television ministry.
The first workshop is scheduled for next summer.

"It is exciting to hear about the possibilities of having communication
offices in all our episcopal areas," said Gladman Makwenya, Zimbabwe.
"It is my prayer that God will continue to open possibilities."

"We are talking about basic needs; we are just starting," Mudambanuki
reminded participants. "We want to challenge you to go to your annual
conferences and your partners in United States and Europe and ask them
for help. Exchange ideas and communicate your needs."

Communicators were also asked to go back home and look for qualified
African teachers who could teach workshops in English, French and
Portuguese. UMCom will look for computer software and other teaching
tools in all three languages.

"Since we have been here, I have noticed the spirit of God," said Arthur
Mpoyo Mbuya, North Katanga Annual Conference, Democratic Republic of
Congo. "Even though we are from different countries, we have similar
needs and issues."

The Rev. Louis Loma of the Central Congo Annual Conference agreed. "God
is going to give us his blessing in Africa and through the world."

*Gilbert is a United Methodist News Service news writer based in
Nashville, Tenn.

News media contact: Kathy L. Gilbert, Nashville, Tenn., (615) 742-5470
or newsdesk@umcom.org.