From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Spanish-language TV ads set to air on Galavision

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:39:27 -0400

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Spanish-language TV ads set to air on Galavision

ENS 081605-2

[Episcopal News Service - New York] The Episcopal Church's new
back-to-school TV advertisement produced in Spanish to reach Generation
viewers unaffiliated with any church is set to debut August 26 on
Galavision, a cable network widely watched among Latinos.

The ads will air August 26-29 and September 9-12 nationwide as part of
the
advertising initiative launched by General Convention in 2003.

"With the growing number of native Spanish speakers in the United States
as
well as in the Episcopal Church, we felt that there was a strong need to
produce 'Monitors' in both English and Spanish to maximize the
potential
reach of the spot," said Mike Collins, director of broadcast and
multimedia
communication at the Episcopal Church Center in New York. "We've also
made
an effort to ensure that the spot receives strong play on Galavision, a
Spanish language network that fits in very well with what we are trying
accomplish overall with the national advertising plan."

"This ad helps the Episcopal Church deepen its communication and
outreach in
Spanish among one of the largest demographic constituencies in the
United
States and the Americas," said the national church's director of
communication, Canon Robert Williams.

"Spanish-language communication is a priority in the Office of
Communication," Williams said. "Our staff includes fully bilingual
professionals who work daily to introduce new and expanded resources
that
are creative and effective in Latin American contexts."

Williams said he looks forward to the formalization of Spanish-language
websites and a communication advisory panel later this year.

"We are working to develop media resources that are culturally
competent,"
Williams said. "The new TV ads give us a helpful beginning in this
regard,
yet there remains much future work to be done collaboratively to
implement
the best possible new ad concepts suggested by Spanish-speaking
Episcopalians."