From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Diocesan Digest

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:42:28 -0400

Diocesan Digest

Thursday, August 18, 2005

* MISSISSIPPI: Vestments tie-dyed for 'The Tent Meeting'
* SEATTLE: Weekly names St. Mark's Cathedral 'Best Place of Worship in
Seattle'
* LOS ANGELES: Interfaith panel to explore role of religion in global
crises

* LOS ANGELES: Court issues ruling on Newport Beach church property case

* JERUSALEM: Dinsmore opens development office in California

MISSISSIPPI: Vestments tie-dyed for "The Tent Meeting"

[Source: Diocese of Mississippi] The Diocese of Mississippi is gearing
up
for a "Tent Meeting," Saturday, August 20 from10 a.m.-.4 p.m. at Gray
Center
in Madison County. This event has baptism as its central theme, and
vestments to be used in the service were tie-dyed in the same batch as
the
120 shirts for the "Water Bearers."

The purpose of the gathering is to worship, celebrate, and learn more
about
becoming "One Church in Mission."

The day will include music with special guests Dr. Horace Boyer and Fran
McKendree, and a characterization of invitation, transformation, and
reconciliation with John Maxwell. On Friday night, there is a special
concert, open to all, featuring McKendree, Boyer, the Mt. Carmel M.B.
Choir
and musicians Patrick Sanders, Emily Maples, C.J. Meaders and Walton
Jones.
On Saturday, worship begins with the Liturgy of the Word, Bishop's
Vision
and baptism.

Tickets are $15 per person (regardless of age; families of four or more
will
not pay more than $60.) For full information visit
http://www.thetentmeeting.dioms.org/.

SEATTLE: Weekly names St. Mark's Cathedral "Best Place of Worship in
Seattle"

[Source: Diocese of Olympia] In the August 3-9 edition of Seattle
Weekly's
Best of Seattle 2005, readers voted Saint Mark's Cathedral as the "Best
Place of Worship in Seattle." "Saint Mark's Cathedral, massive and cool,
is
the perfect place for soul-searching-or listening to gorgeous Gregorian
chant on Sunday nights..."

In the Turf: Urban Living section, nestled between Alki Beach (Best
Beach)
and Broadway's Red Light (Best Vintage Shop) Saint Mark's joined other
illustrious award winners from their community:

* Best Voice of Humanitarianism, Margaret Larson (Saint Mark's
Celebrates
Seattle Emcee);
* Best Local Philanthropists, Bill and Paula Clapp (Active Members);
* Best Inexplicable Museum Transformation, Frye Art Museum (Key Staff
Midge
Bowman, Ron Cook, Mary Coon);
* Best Lobbyist, Randy Revelle (Senior Warden '97-'98);
* Best Local Politician, U.S. Rep. Jim McDermott (Active Member);
* Best Local Cause, Ending Homelessness (Committee to End Homelessness,
The
Very Rev. Robert V. Taylor Chair and Founding Member)

The full list of Seattle's Best can be found at:
http://www.seattleweekly.com/features/0531/050803_bestof_turf_readers.php
LOS ANGELES: Interfaith panel to explore role of religion in global
crises

[Source: Diocese of Los Angeles] "Global Crises & Religion: Are We Part
of
the Problem, or Part of the Solution?" is the title of an interfaith
panel
discussion to be held at the Cathedral Center of St. Paul on Sunday,
October
2, 3-6 p.m.

The discussion seeks to answer: How do we as a community of faithful
people
view the meaning of life and death, the causes of suffering, our
attitudes
toward the alleviation of suffering, and our meaningful and helpful
response
to the next crises, human-made or natural disaster?

Panelists include Dr. Muzamil Siddiqi, Islamic Society of Orange County;
Nirinjan Singh Khalsa, Sikh Dharma; Venerable Bhante Chao Chu, World
Buddhist Sangha Council; Pravrajika Saradeshrana, the Hindu Vedanta
Society;
Rabbi Bernie King, Temple Shir HaMaalot; and Nora Gallagher, Episcopal
Diocese of Los Angeles.

The event is sponsored by the Commission on Ecumenical and
Interreligious
Concerns of the Episcopal Diocese of Los Angeles. For information email
the
Rev. Dr. Gwynne Guibord at DrGGuibord@aol.com.

LOS ANGELES: Court issues ruling on Newport Beach church property case

[Source: Diocese of Los Angeles] Citing a unique statute not available
in
many states, the Superior Court in Orange County issued a ruling August
15
that an effort by the Episcopal Church in the United States and the
Episcopal Diocese of Los Angeles to preserve property claimed by the
seceding congregation of St. James' Church, Newport Beach, was an
attempt to
impede the congregation's freedom of speech.

The
matter will immediately be appealed.

The national Church and the diocese had filed suit against the
congregations
of St. James' Church, All Saints' Church in Long Beach and St. David's
Church in North Hollywood, all of which announced in August, 2004, that
they
were separating from the Diocese of Los Angeles and aligning with the
Anglican Diocese of Luweero, Uganda. The ruling affects only St. James'
Church.

"Although we are disappointed in the court's conclusion, this is simply
an
initial step in a long process," said John R. Shiner, chancellor of the
diocese and its lead attorney in the property matter. "We believe the
court's order was clearly in error, and indeed takes the law to a new
level
not supported by precedent. We are entitled, under these unique
circumstances, to an immediate appeal, which we intend to vigorously
pursue.

"We are confident on appeal that the court will correct this error and
instruct the parties on how to proceed with the balance of the case,"
Shiner
said.

Bishop J. Jon Bruno of Los Angeles concurred. "Along with the national
Church, we have committed ourselves to these proceedings," he said, "to
ensure compliance with our canons and to preserve property rightfully
belonging to the national Church and the diocese.

"As anyone familiar with the circumstances understands, this is not an
issue
concerning freedom of speech, but simply one that addresses who is the
rightful owner of the property in question," said Bruno. "We have never
disputed that members of the departing congregations are free to worship
how
they wish, and with whom."

JERUSALEM: Dinsmore opens development office in California

[ENS: Diocese of Jerusalem] Nancy Dinsmore, former development officer
for
the Diocese of Jerusalem, recently opened the Development Office for
North
America of the Episcopal Diocese of Jerusalem.

Dinsmore left the Holy Land in May and has settled in Northern
California,
near San Francisco. She said her latest endeavor will allow her to work
more
closely with those who are unfamiliar with the work going on in the Holy
Land, develop programs for Diocesan ministries, fund raise, arrange
partnerships and educate.

For information: Call +650 776 2011 or email
dojdevelopmentna@sbcglobal.net
or development_na@j-diocese.com.