From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ACNS] Resurrection Eucharist for Brother Roger of

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:52:55 -0700

ACNS 4025 | ACO | 23 AUGUST 2005

Resurrection Eucharist for Brother Roger of Taizé

[ACNS - J M Rosenthal] They came from many nations, all denominations
and all ages, to pay tribute to the founder of Taizé, as Cardinal Walter
Kaspar of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity at the
Vatican, presided at the funeral Eucharist today for Brother Roger,
murdered during a prayer service on August 16th.

At the funeral Anglican Bishop Nigel McCulloch of Manchester, England
read a passage from Isaiah with Reformed and Lutheran leaders reading
the other lesson. The Episcopal Bishop of Rhode Island USA, the Rt Revd
Geralyn Wolf was present as was the Bishop of Hereford, the Rt Revd
Anthony Priddis and the Suffragan Bishop of Alabama USA, the Rt Revd
Mark Andrus.

The haunting prayers and chant so associated with the community at Taizé
were sung throughout the liturgy in the Church of Reconciliation that
rests in this picturesque part of France. "Nothing can ever come between
us and the love of God, the love of God revealed to us in Christ Jesus"
was sung as the congregation received Holy Communion.

Following Communion three young children lit the candles of the many
Taizé community brothers, and soon the light flooded through the church
to all present. Four priests from Taizé stood at the coffin and
sprinkled holy water followed by the bishops and clergy of the Orthodox
churches chanting their traditional commemoration of the dead and
blessing the body with incense.

As the thousands present sang "Confitemini Domino", give thanks to the
Lord, for he is good, alleluia, four brothers carried the coffin on
their shoulders from before the holy table and with the entire Community
processed through the candlelit church. Tears, waves and young people
reaching out to try to touch the coffin greeted the brothers as the
chant continued.

As the formal liturgy came to a close, and in the spirit of Brother
Roger himself, the people resumed their places and continued in prayer
and song - the essence of the life at Taizé. They sang: My soul rests in
God alone: from him comes my salvation.

Since the news of the murder of Brother Roger, tributes have come in
from church and civic leaders and others touched by the ministry of
Taizé. Canon Kenneth Kearon, Secretary General of the Anglican Communion
said, "The news of the death of Brother Roger has saddened Anglicans
around the world, and we are especially shocked by the violent manner of
his death, which was in stark contrast to his lifelong ministry of peace
and reconciliation. The Taizé community which he founded, whose witness
to ecumenism and reconciliation especially among young people will be
his lasting memorial, has influenced Christian worship and spirituality
worldwide, and it is to that Community that I extend our prayers and
heartfelt sympathy at this time."

On hearing the news of Brother Roger's murder, Archbishop of Canterbury
Rowan Williams said, "This is an indescribable shock. Brother Roger was
one of the best loved Christian leaders of our time, and hundreds of
thousands will be feeling his loss very personally, and remembering him
in prayer and gratitude. But the shock and trauma for the community at
Taizé will be heavy - and it will be for all the young people who
witnessed this event. All of them are in our prayers."

Bishop of Pierre Whalon, Bishop of the Convocation of Episcopal Churches
in Europe, in a letter to the Taize Community, said, "Brother Roger did
so much to show the world the way that leads to Jesus, a way that has
come to its end for him but in which we continue to walk. As a teenager,
I met him in Taizé for the first time. Meeting this man in your
community greatly influenced me to decide to follow Christ, and finally,
to accept to be in service to his Church. I know it is the same for
thousands and thousands of people who had a similar introduction to the
Lord, reinforced by the ecumenical witness of your community that offers
the world a vision of the Church without divisions."

The Taizé website now states the following: "During the evening prayer
on Tuesday 16 August, in the midst of the crowd surrounding the
Community in the Church of Reconciliation, a woman - probably mentally
disturbed - struck Brother Roger violently with knife blows. He died a
few moments later.

In its sorrow, the Taizé Community thanks all those who are supporting
it by their affection and their prayer. "

The community also announced: "Eight years ago, Brother Roger designated
Brother Alois to succeed him, as the person in charge of the community.
Brother Alois has entered straightaway into his ministry as servant of
communion at the heart of the community".

The Taizé Community is made up of over a hundred brothers, Roman
Catholics and from various Protestant backgrounds, coming from more than
twenty-five nations. The community's existence is in itself "a sign of
reconciliation between divided Christians and divided nations".

The vision for Taizé began in 1940, when at the age of 25, Brother Roger
left Switzerland in order to live in France, the country of his mother.
For several years he had borne within him a calling to begin a community
where reconciliation between Christians would be lived out in daily
life. A community where "kindness of heart would be a matter of
practical experience, and where love would be at the heart of all
things". He wanted this community to be present in the midst of the
suffering of the time, and thus it was that he made his home in the
small village of Taizé, in Burgundy, just a few miles from the
demarcation line which cut France in two during the first years of the
war. There he was able to hide refugees (Jews in particular), who had
fled the occupied zone in the knowledge that they could find refuge in
his house.

After the war he was joined by others, and on Easter Day, 1949, the
first brothers of the community made their commitment to a life in
celibacy, to community of possessions, and to simplicity of life.

In many parts of the world Brother Roger will be remembered at services
and prayer gathering including a liturgy today at St Mary's Anglican
Church, Somers Town, London.

You may wish to email the Brothers at this time of their great loss. The
email is: condolences@taize.fr

May he rest in peace and rise in glory.

(This report is possible due to the web streaming of the funeral on the
internet)

Eitors note: The Bishop of Manchester The Rt Revd Nigel McCulloch
represented the Archbishop of Canterbury

A Letter from Archbishop Rowan Williams to the Taizé Community:

Dear brothers and friends,

Like all of you, I am still coming to terms with the terrible tragedy of
last week. But today is an occasion not only for mourning but for
celebrating the extraordinary achievement of our dear Brother Roger.

Very few people in a generation manage to change the whole climate of a
religious culture; but Brother Roger did just this. He changed the terms
of reference for ecumenism by the challenge to Christians of diverse
loyalties to live the monastic life together; he changed the image of
Christianity itself for countless young people; he changed the churches'
perception of the absolute priority of reconciliation, first in post-war
Europe, then throughout the globe. And what is perhaps most important is
that he did this without any position of hierarchical authority, without
any position within the politics and power-struggles of the institution.
His authority was authentically monastic - the authority of a father and
elder brother in God who drew his vision from patient waiting on the
Lord in prayer, and from the work and study and discernment of a
committed Community. His life and witness present the true Gospel
challenge to all our Christian institutions, the challenge to become
really credible through our willingness to live and listen in humility,
to know where our true power lies.

We thank God today for a life that questions our institutional
complacency, not in the name of fashion or ease or naive radicalism, but
simply in the name of the Gospel of Jesus and the ministry of
reconciliation. Brother Roger's life will be a lasting gift and
challenge, and we pray that the community of Taizé, so much loved and
valued in all the Christian world and beyond, will go on offering us
this same gift in the years ahead. Please be assured of the abiding love
and prayers of your friends in the Anglican Church, and especially your
brother in faith.

+Rowan Cantuar