From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Many Presbyterians are uneasy about personal evangelism,

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2005 12:32:09 -0500

Note #8862 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

05437
August 23, 2005

Uninviting

Many Presbyterians are uneasy about personal evangelism, poll finds

by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE - Although most Presbyterians have invited someone to church in
the past year, personal evangelism and outreach are not strong suits in the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), a recent poll suggests.

In the Feb. 2005 Presbyterian Panel sampling of PC(USA) members,
elders and ministers, majorities of members (59 percent) and elders (68
percent) said they have invited at least one person to worship at their
church in the past year, according to the denomination's Research Services
office.

A few more - 61 percent of members and 77 percent of elders - said
they'd invited someone in the past year to "a function other than worship" at
church.

But when it comes to talking to people they already know about going
to church, talking with friends and associates about the meaning of Christian
faith, sharing the faith and visiting Presbyterians newly arrived in their
communities, church members are not very active (single digit percentages),
according to pastors.

Asked why they hadn't invited anyone to church, members who had not
said: "I don't know anyone who doesn't already attend church somewhere" (36
percent); "I'm not comfortable doing this" (23 percent); "I don't know anyone
who would be interested" (19 percent); and "Our services are not impressive"
(18 percent).

PC(USA) pastors said they spend an average of two hours a month
"directly reaching out to individuals who are not currently members of any
church." Nineteen percent said they spend no time doing this kind of
outreach, and 10 percent said they devote more than 10 hours a month to such
efforts.

Half of members and 57 percent of elders said their congregations
offered classes or programs in personal evangelism in the previous year.
Fewer than half - 44 percent of members and 49 percent of elders - said they
took advantage of those opportunities.

A small majority of members (57 percent) and three-quarters of elders
said they would be "very interested" or "generally interested" in more
congregational training in personal evangelism.

Most pastors said they believe their members are "definitely willing"
or "probably willing" to devote more time to personal outreach if they felt
better-equipped for such work.