From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Presiding Bishop and LWF President: 'We Shall Speak the Truth'

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:38:34 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 31, 2005

ELCA Presiding Bishop and LWF President: 'We Shall Speak the Truth'
05-160-JB

JERUSALEM (ELCA) -- In a wide-ranging news conference here
Aug. 30, the Rev. Mark S. Hanson said the Lutheran World
Federation (LWF) will "speak the truth" on several significant
social concerns during its regular meeting Aug. 31 Sept. 6 in
Bethlehem. He spelled out several specific concerns for this
region for both Israelis and Palestinians.
Hanson, who serves as presiding bishop of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), Chicago, is also president of
the LWF, Geneva, Switzerland. The LWF is a global communion of
138 Lutheran churches, representing 66 million Lutherans in 77
countries.
With Hanson at the news conference were the Rev. Ishmael
Noko, LWF general secretary, Geneva, and the Rev. Munib A.
Younan, bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Jordan and
the Holy Land and an LWF vice president.
Commenting on the theme of the meeting, "The Church: Called
to a Ministry of Reconciliation," Hanson said reconciliation is
God's work for "the whole creation," but the center of God's work
in reconciliation occurred in Jesus Christ.
"So, to come to the center place of God's reconciling work,
which is still in need of reconciliation, was an important step
for us," he said. This is the first time the LWF Council has met
in the Middle East, he noted.
"We must also speak the truth of our alienation, the truth
of persecution, the truth of deception that is occurring in the
world," Hanson said. "So in this meeting we will speak the truth
about a creation that is being destroyed by our consumptive
living." Hanson said the LWF Council will "speak the truth"
about caring for the environment.
The LWF Council will speak the truth about poverty, disease,
hunger and homelessness "in a world of great affluence," he said.
Already there is "an emerging convergence of religious people"
that must come together to address poverty, hunger and
environmental concerns, and Lutherans will be part of that,
Hanson said.
He acknowledged the council will speak the truth about
divisions within the Christian Church in general and within the
Lutheran Church in particular. Though diversity is another of
God's gifts, it often becomes a cause of conflict in which
reconciliation is needed, he said, adding that Lutherans must
seek greater understanding with people of other faiths.
With specific reference to the Middle East, Hanson said the
LWF Council will address the future of this city, the separation
barrier around and through the West Bank, security, freedom,
justice, occupation and violence.
"We will speak the truth about the wall," he said. "Yes, it
protects some, but it separates others. How do we listen, and
how do we speak boldly about peace that is lasting -- not
temporary -- as the peace that a wall might bring?"
The council will speak the truth about freedom, justice and
security, Hanson said. "Freedom and justice for the Palestinian
people is dependent upon a secure Israel, but a secure Israel is
also dependent upon freedom and justice for the Palestinian
people," he said.
"We will speak about occupation, and we will speak the truth
about violence," Hanson said, noting that the LWF council will
listen to what people on both sides here have to say. "As
religious leaders we, too, must be aware that we have our own
shortcomings," he said.
"I'm very aware of that, as a religious leader in the United
States," Hanson said. "It is my deep conviction that the United
States, through its president and its administration, must
exercise stronger leadership in a balanced way so that the Road
Map might be implemented, so that the occupation might be ended,
so that the Palestinian people might live in peace and justice
and the Israelis might live in security."
Such a scenario is possible only if the U.S. government
exercises "fair and strong leadership on both sides of this
issue," Hanson added.
Hanson told reporters that, during his visit here, he and
other key LWF leaders will meet with Israeli and Palestinian
political authorities. The Lutherans will ask both Israelis and
Palestinians to allow humanitarian aid for all people, he said.
Hanson specifically mentioned the LWF operated Augusta Victoria
Hospital in East Jerusalem, currently the subject of a tax case
brought against it by the State of Israel. The case, now being
appealed, threatens the hospital's ability to serve its mostly
Palestinian clientele.
The LWF will voice primary concern for the welfare of the
shrinking population of Palestinian Christians -- Lutherans in
particular -- in this region, Hanson said. The LWF is also
concerned about Israel's security, he said.
"I don't ever want to diminish the fear of living as a
victim of violence for a citizen of this city," he said. "But I
think the ending of violence is only one part of the equation."
Those who say all violence must end before the occupation of
disputed land ends are making peace "sequential" rather than a
shared task, Hanson said. Both Israelis and Palestinians must be
part "of a shared walk on the way to peace," he said.
Hanson criticized religious extremists in the world, and
said Christians, Jews and Muslims should agree on principles for
living together. All three faiths must show respect for one
another without diminishing their faith convictions, he said.
The LWF president concluded by saying that he hopes to leave
the LWF Council meeting "seeing myself through your eyes," he
told reporters.
"Every time I go to another place in the world, I want to
change my vision so that I might see myself, the ELCA and the
United States through your eyes," he said. "That 'reframes' how
I understand who we are as Americans in the world, not over the
world."
-- -- --
Information about the LWF Council meeting is at
http://www.lutheranworld.org on the Web.

For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/news