From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Episcopalians mobilize in Katrina's aftermath

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2005 17:46:08 -0400

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Episcopalians mobilize in Katrina's aftermath

By Matthew Davies

ENS 083105-1

[ENS] -- Episcopalians are working tirelessly to assess and respond to
the
destruction caused by Hurricane Katrina, a category four hurricane that
ripped through the Gulf Coast August 29, leaving at least 120 people
dead
and countless more displaced and homeless.

Presiding Bishop Frank Griswold, in an August 31 message to all bishops,
clergy and congregations, called for "a community united in prayer and
service during this time."

"At this time let us be exceedingly mindful that bearing one another's
burdens and sharing one another's suffering is integral to being members
of
Christ's body," Griswold said in his statement. "I call upon every
member of
our church to reach out in prayer and tangible support to our brothers
and
sisters as they live through these overwhelming days of loss and begin
face the difficult challenges of the future." [Full statement at:
http://
www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_64601_ENG_HTM.htm]

Episcopal Relief and Development (ERD) responded immediately by sending
emergency funds to the Dioceses of Central Gulf Coast, Louisiana,
Mississippi, and Western Louisiana to support immediate needs such as
food,
shelter and medical supplies.

Robert Radtke, president of ERD, described the hurricane's devastation
as
"tsunami-like."

"Authorities are locating people, rescuing them from houses, from
rooftops,"
he said. "But our main concern is taking care of those persons who have
been
displaced or have lost their homes and everything they have."

The people most affected in any natural disaster are the poor, Radtke
explained. "The people who have resources can get out of harm's way," he
said. "Our priority is people living in poverty -- we're looking after
the
people who've been most drastically affected by this."

"We're like a deer caught in the headlights," said Bishop Charles
Jenkins of
Louisiana, by phone from temporary offices at St. James' Church in Baton
Rouge. "We've lost at least 18 churches. The diocesan offices didn't
flood
until today, but I understand they had already been looted. New Orleans
is a
city with many poor people, and there's a lot of civic unrest.

"But we've had calls from dioceses all over the country offering help,
and
ERD has been a tremendous aid to us," he added. "This is the church at
its
best -- pulling together and helping each other through hard times."

Bishop Bruce MacPherson of Western Louisiana explained that his diocese
has
taken on thousands of evacuees during the past 72 hours. "A number of
our
congregations are providing care for some of these people, and we have
about
200 people from nursing homes and individual families housed at our
diocesan
camp and conference center," he said. "The latter are being provided
with
rooms and meals, with many sleeping in group cottages."

In Mississippi, many churches are a "total loss," explained diocesan
communicator Lauren Auttonberry. "We have lost the structures for many
of
our coast area churches," she said. "St. Peter's by-the-Sea suffered
extensive damage, although some of the walls are still standing. St.
Mark's,
Gulfport, Christ Church, Bay St. Louis, and Redeemer, Biloxi are a total
loss."

Bishop Duncan Gray of Mississippi described the disaster as one of
"unprecedented proportions."

"Long time residents of the Mississippi Gulf Coast have noted that the
damage and facilities from the storm will far exceed that of Hurricane
Camille in 1969," he said. "Thousands have lost their homes and those
holy
places of worship to which they have instinctively gone in times of
crisis.
Unconfirmed reports have indicated that at least six Episcopal Churches
have
been totally destroyed with serious damage to many others. It is a time
of
deep shock and grief and tears."

"And it is a time of hope," Gray added, citing the hundreds of
Episcopalians
from throughout the country who have called offering help in various
forms.
The diocese received $25,000 immediate relief funds from Episcopal
Relief
and Development.

"A list of coast-area clergy and their status is currently being
compiled,"
Auttonberry said, urging those with information on any of the churches
and
their clergy to call the diocesan office at 601.948.5954 or email
allinhouse@dioms.org.

Further information and details on how to send donations are available
from
the Diocese of Mississippi website at http://www.dioms.org.

Bishops Jenkins, Gray and Philip Duncan of Central Gulf Coast have
instituted a daily conference call to coordinate relief efforts between
their three dioceses.

ERD has responded with preliminary support of $50,000 to the Diocese of
Louisiana. "While full details of the devastation continue to unfold, a
complete needs assessment is underway," said Malaika Kamunanwire, ERD's
director of communications and annual fund. "The funds will support
immediate needs for basic payroll, food, shelter, medical supplies, and
additional needs for all affected."

A grant of $20,000 has been sent from ERD to the Diocese of Central Gulf
Coast. "These funds will be directed toward helping vulnerable
populations
whose homes were either destroyed or severely damaged by the storm,"
Kamunanwire said. "The diocese is also in the process of assessing the
damage and its responses, but these initial funds will help resource
parishes that are helping to meet emergency housing and sustenance needs
in
their communities."

ERD is also sending a grant of $7,500 to assist the Diocese of Western
Louisiana as it provides care for thousands of evacuees. ERD stands
ready to
continue support as additional needs emerge.

To make a contribution to help people affected by Hurricane Katrina,
please
donate to the US Hurricane Fund by credit card at http://www.er-d.org/
or by
calling 1-800-334-7626, ext. 5129. Gifts can be mailed to: Episcopal
Relief
and Development, c/o US Hurricane Fund, PO Box 12043, Newark, NJ 07101.

Episcopal Relief and Development is the international relief and
development
agency of the Episcopal Church of the United States. An independent
501(c) 3
organization, ERD saves lives and builds hope in communities around the
world. We provide emergency assistance in times of crisis and rebuild
after
disasters. We enable people to climb out of poverty by offering
long-term
solutions in the areas of food security and health care, including
HIV/AIDS
and malaria.

For the latest news and information from ENS on Hurricane Katrina,
visit:
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_64552_ENG_HTM.htm.

-- Matthew Davies is staff writer and web manager for Episcopal News
Service.