From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Newsline - Church of the Brethren news update

From COBNews@aol.com
Date Thu, 1 Sep 2005 16:04:26 EDT

Date: Sept. 1, 2005
Contact: Cheryl Brumbaugh-Cayford
V: 847/742-5100 F: 847/742-6103
E-MAIL: _CoBNews@AOL.Com_ (mailto:CoBNews@AOL.Com)

CHURCH OF THE BRETHREN NEWSLINE
September 1, 2005

Annual Conference theme will be `TOGETHER: Exercising Daily in God'

Sept. 1, 2005 (Elgin, IL) -- The Annual Conference Program and Arrangements

Committee has announced the theme for the 2006 Conference in Des Moines,
Iowa. The "TOGETHER: Conversations on Being the Church" event will be
launched
at Des Moines next summer, and so moderator Ronald D. Beachley suggested the

theme, "TOGETHER: Exercising Daily in God."

Church of the Brethren congregations and individuals are invited to explore
the theme scriptures and how they apply to our faith journey, reported Lerry

Fogle, executive director of the Conference. Moderator Beachley will issue a

challenge related to the theme each month preceding Conference. Those theme
challenges will be available at _www.brethren.org/ac/_
(http://www.brethren.org/ac/) .

The complete theme statement from the moderator follows:

"Discipline was a hallmark of the early faith community. It appeared to be a

natural part of commitment, because of the persecution faced by Jesus'
followers. Dedication and commitment seem to be lacking from our lives and
faith
vocabulary today. The church needs to be encouraged and challenged to a
stronger commitment. This will be significant for the denomination as we
begin the
conversation about being the church during the next year.

"The scriptures, especially Paul's letters, remind us often of the merit and

blessings of spiritual discipline. Certainly, the example of Jesus is the
model for us to imitate. The early faith community was persecuted and that
appeared to produce discipline. The church needs to be challenged to value
spiritual discipline. Discipline could strengthen our commitment and
dedication to
the Lord and the faith community. We need to be reminded over and over again

of the value and blessings of spiritual discipline and sharing Christ's love

with others.

"Traveling and listening during this past year has been a new adventure. I
have encountered many dedicated persons in our denomination. However, I have

heard some of these same persons lament the lack of commitment and outreach
in
the local faith communities.

"Therefore, I'm going to challenge us to a new level of discipline and
commitment. Part of the discipline will be to read a chapter a day in the New

Testament. Secondly, pray daily for an individual who needs to know Christ as

Lord and Savior. I would also encourage you to join a cell group in your
congregation to pray with on a regular basis.

"I'm proposing the theme, TOGETHER: EXERCISE DAILY IN GOD, as the theme for
the 2006 Annual Conference, using 1 Timothy 4:6-8 as the primary text. The
actual wording comes from `The Message.' "

The Church of the Brethren is a Christian denomination committed to
continuing the work of Jesus peacefully and simply, and to living out its
faith in
community. The denomination is based in the Anabaptist and Pietist faith
traditions and is one of the three Historic Peace Churches. It celebrates its
300th
anniversary in 2008. It counts about 130,000 members across the United
States and Puerto Rico, and has missions and sister churches in Brazil, the
Dominican Republic, Haiti, and Nigeria.

# # #

For more information contact:

Cheryl Brumbaugh-Cayford
Director of News Services
Church of the Brethren General Board
1451 Dundee Ave.
Elgin, IL 60120
847-742-5100 ext. 260
_cbrumbaugh-cayford_gb@brethren.org_
(mailto:cbrumbaugh-cayford_gb@brethren.org)

The Church of the Brethren Newsline is produced by Cheryl Brumbaugh-Cayford,

director of news services for the Church of the Brethren General Board.
Newsline stories may be reprinted provided that Newsline is cited as the
source.
To receive Newsline by e-mail, write _cobnews@aol.com_
(mailto:cobnews@aol.com) or call 800-323-8039 ext. 260.