From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS DIGEST 2nd September 2005

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2005 11:06:52 -0700

The following is a roundup of the recent ACNS Digest stories, with
reports from US, Philippines, South East Asia, Burundi and South
Africa. The ACNS Digest can be found here:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/digest/index.cfm

(451) 02-September-2005 - Hurricane Katrina: A message from the
Presiding Bishop - USA

My dear brothers and sisters in Christ:

I am sending this message by email to our bishops, clergy and
congregations -- insofar as is possible -- so that it might be shared
and that we might be a community united in prayer and service during
this time.

During these past days I have been contacting bishops in the areas
affected by hurricane Katrina and have spoken to the bishops of Alabama,
the Central Gulf Coast, Louisiana and Mississippi. As you would imagine,
they are ministering to their communities the very best they can under
extraordinarily difficult circumstances. Communication is tenuous, and
in some cases impossible. As hour by hour the almost unimaginable
ravages of the hurricane become more fully known we are continuing to
learn of further losses of life, houses, churches, and other familiar
points of reference, including the destruction of whole communities.

At this time let us be exceedingly mindful that bearing one another's
burdens and sharing one another's suffering is integral to being members
of Christ's body. I call upon every member of our church to reach out in
prayer and tangible support to our brothers and sisters as they live
through these overwhelming days of loss and begin to face the difficult
challenges of the future.

Episcopal Relief and Development has been in contact with all the
dioceses in the Gulf Coast area touched by the hurricane and will be
working with them long after the television cameras have left. Funds
have already been sent to the dioceses of Central Gulf Coast,
Mississippi and Louisiana. I ask you to donate funds to the work of ERD
such that our brothers and sisters in Christ will have the resources
needed for the monumental task of reconstruction and rebuilding.
Donations to ERD can be made as follows with an indication that they are
designated for hurricane relief: via ERD's website at www.er-d.org 24
hours a day; by calling ERD at 800/334-7626, extension 5129 Monday -
Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern Standard time; by sending a check
payable to Episcopal Relief and Development, Box 12043, Newark, New
Jersey 07101-5043.

The Rt. Rev. George Packard, Suffragan Bishop for Chaplaincies, has been
in contact with bishops in the Gulf Coast area. Bishop Packard is
working such that a network of chaplains -- police, fire, civil defense
and military chaplains -- is providing information to the bishops about
what is happening in areas of their dioceses they have not been able to
reach. The next stage of his work will be setting up training for clergy
and others in dealing with the trauma so many have experienced.

Episcopal Migration Ministries is also responding and Richard Parkins,
the Director of EMM, is investigating the possibilities of resettlement
for people who are temporarily homeless.

Life affords us very few securities and yet deep within us, often
revealed in the midst of profound vulnerability and loss, springs up a
hope that contradicts the circumstances in which we find ourselves. Such
hope emerges from the depths of despair as pure and unexpected gift.
This is the way in which Christ accompanies us and seeks to share our
burdens. May Christ so be with those of us who are enduring the effects
of the hurricane, and may each one of us be a minister of hope to others
in these dark and tragic days.

May we together pray:

God of mercy and compassion, be in our midst and bind us together in
your Spirit as a community of love and service to bear one another's
burdens in these days as we face the ravages of storm and sea. This we
pray through Jesus Christ our Lord from whom alone comes our hope.
Amen.

The Most Rev. Frank T. Griswold
Presiding Bishop and Primate
The Episcopal Church, USA

http://www.aco.org/acns/digest/index.cfm?years=2005&months=9&article=451
&pos=#451

(450) 02-September-2005 - Philippine Churches light the world in remote
villages - Philippines

[WCC- Maurice Malanes] They had literally groped in the dark for ages.
But for the past three years, more than a thousand upland folk in a
remote village in northern Philippines have felt blessed because they
are finally seeing the light of fluorescent bulbs.

Before Episcopal Bishop Joel Pachao inaugurated a 15-kilowatt
micro-hydroelectric plant in the village of Lon-oy (some 250 kilometres
north of Manila) in San Gabriel town in La Union Province in March 2002,
local folk had to content themselves with kerosene lamps for lighting.

"It was really a pity to see them groping in the dark at night time,"
says Frank Taguba, an engineer of the non-governmental Sibol ng Agham at
Teknolohiya (SIBAT or Wellspring of Science and Technology), who helped
design and supervize the micro-hydro power plant's construction.

Accessible by a steeply rising road after three hours of tough driving
from the centre of San Gabriel town, Lon-oy is one of 10,000 villages
nationwide not covered by the state-run National Power Corporation's
grid. Under the government's Philippine Energy Plan, Lon-oy is among the
villages scheduled to be energized by 2010. But this is only on paper.
And even so, year 2010 also meant quite a long wait for Lon-oy
villagers.

So, on their own, the villagers - most of them Anglicans/Episcopalians -
and the Episcopal Diocese of North-Central Philippines' community-based
development programme desk jointly conceived a micro-hydro power plant
project. Aside from helping design and supervize the project, SIBAT
convinced the Philippine government's energy department to provide the
1.5 million-peso (some 26,800 USD or 22,000 Euro) fund for the project.

As their counterpart contribution, the more than 130 families in the
village took care of the project's labour. For three years, not only the
men, but also women and teenage youths dug and cemented a more than a
kilometre-long diversion canal from the Lon-oy River upstream. The canal
leads to a penstock and power house downstream, where the force of water
is converted into electricity by a generator.

Mainly designed for lighting only, the micro-hydro power facility has
enabled each household to avail itself of a maximum of 80 watts. More
luxurious appliances such as television sets, refrigerators and electric
ovens are not allowed. Otherwise, the facility breaks down due to power
overload.

But providing light alone has already worked wonders for the villagers.
Instead of straining their eyes with kerosene lamps, school teachers can
now work more comfortably under bright electric lights as they plan
their lessons and check papers.

Broom-makers can now make brooms for sale until late in the evening.
Sitting around a winnower with newly harvested legumes and beans to
peel, members of a family also exchange stories and riddles and sing
songs before they go to bed.

Early in the morning, members of an association of village women can
start baking bread in their liquefied petroleum gas-fueled oven in their
bakery. Before, they had to wait for daybreak before baking.

The women have also embarked on a food-processing project, which they
can now attend to in the evening and in the early morning. They are
processing ginger into tea, for example, something that they could not
do before.

The micro-hydro facility has not only opened livelihood opportunities
for the villagers. It has also opened opportunities for spiritual
growth, says Johnny Golocan, an engineer and lay leader who coordinates
the development programme of the Episcopal Diocese of North-Central
Philippines.

"With the electricity, our parishioners in Lon-oy can do their Bible
studies and fellowship and prayer meetings even in the evening," he
says.

A spreading gospel brings life more abundant

The gospel of giving light through micro-hydro power has also spread
farther north to the distant village of Buneg in Conner town in Apayao
Province, some 550 kilometres north of Manila.

The more than 300 indigenous Mabaka folk (one of more than 80
ethno-linguistic and indigenous groups in the Philippines) of Buneg got
in touch with the Catholic Church and the non-governmental SIBAT to help
install a 7.5 kilowatt micro-hydro power facility. Like Lon-oy, Buneg is
not a priority in the government-run National Power Corporation's grid.

During six years, the Mabaka patiently hauled construction materials -
from cement, steel bars and pipes to the turbine and generator - because
from the nearest road Buneg is accessible only by foot after a six- to
seven-hour uphill climb. SIBAT provided the expertise and also channeled
funds from the United Nations Development Programme.

Inaugurated in January 2003, the Buneg micro-hydro power facility has
since been providing electric lighting to 36 families, and helping give
more livelihood opportunities to the upland folk.

Before he calls it a day, Mabaka elder Andanan Agagen weaves rattan
baskets in the evening, which he sells to lowland folk. The rattan
baskets that he weaves helped send a daughter to college. "It was beyond
my wildest dreams that I would see the light of an electric bulb in my
lifetime," says the 70-something elder. "I can only thank the heavens
and those who made this miracle possible."

Under bright fluorescent lamps, children can now study their lessons and
read books while Rosalina Dangli, the community's lone public teacher,
can plan her lessons for the next day.

In 2004, the Mabaka folk were able to access some funds for a
hydraulic-powered rice mill, which has helped lighten the burden carried
by women and children, who, by tradition, pound rice. "Freed from the
back-breaking task of pounding rice, children have more time to study
their lessons," says Dangli.

In other remote villages the government's energy programme cannot reach,
similar community-based micro-hydro power projects are helping start a
quiet industrial revolution. Blacksmith shops, rice mills, sugar-cane
pressers, even a vulcanizing shop, are now allowing families to improve
their livelihoods.

Asked about the role of micro-hydro projects in the overall scheme of
the Episcopal Church of the Philippines' vision and mission, Golocan
says: "In a small but concrete way, these simple facilities can help
improve and transform the lives of our parishioners. We are happy to see
how, for many poor families, they help usher in the abundant life that
Christ promised."

Article taken from: http://www.wcc-assembly.info/

http://www.aco.org/acns/digest/index.cfm?years=2005&months=9&article=450
&pos=#450

(448) 02-September-2005 - New Bishop for the Diocese of Sabah elected -
South East Asia

The Venerable Albert Vun Cheong Fui, Archdeacon of the Urban Area of
Sabah and Rector of St Patrick's Church,Tawau, has been unanimously
appointed 5th Bishop of the Anglican Diocese of Sabah by the House of
Bishops of the Province of the Anglican Church in Southeast Asia.

The Provincial House of Bishops consists of the four Diocesan Bishops
from the Dioceses of Singapore, West Malaysia, Kuching and Sabah.
Results from two levels of nomination were forwarded to the House in
July this year.

The House met on Aug. 16 and 17 this year to make the selection and
appointment. Fourth and current Bishop of the Anglican Diocese of Sabah,
The Most Rev. Datuk Yong Ping Chung Archbishop of the Province of the
Anglican Church in Southeast Asia, made the announcement at a press
conference at Wisma Anglican, Monday.

The new Bishop will be consecrated and installed on St Mark's Day, April
25, 2006 at the All Saints' Cathedral.

Archbishop Young also said:

"Fifteen years as Bishop is long enough. I will reach 65 on Feb. 20 next
year. According to our Diocesan Constitution, I must retire to allow a
younger and more energetic colleague to take over.

"No campaigning, no speeches were made. We believe that the choice of
Archdeacon Vun is the choice not only of the people but also affirmed by
God himself," he said. Introducing the Bishop-Elect to reporters,
Archbishop Yong said : "I am very pleased that a man of deep faith and
spiritual vitality has been appointed to fill this post".

http://www.aco.org/acns/digest/index.cfm?years=2005&months=9&article=448
&pos=#448

(447) 02-September-2005 - Investiture of new President of Burundi -
Burundi

[EAB Press - Burundi] The Rt. Rev. Pie Ntukamazina, Bishop of Bujumbura,
joined other religious leaders in praying for Peter Nkurunziza,
Burundi's new President, at the beginning of the investiture ceremony on
26th August 2005.

The investiture brought to an end 46 months of transitional government,
and marked the culmination of the process that elected former rebel
leader, Peter Nkurunziza, to power.

The ceremony was attended by Heads of State from neighbouring countries
and the region, as well as delegations from around the world. They spoke
of the day's events as a sign of hope for the region, and promised
support for the new administration. There were calls for the
PALIPEHUTU-FNL rebel group to join the peace process.

The outgoing President, Domitien Ndayizeye, first congratulated the new
President. He then summarised the achievements and problems of the
transitional period, and recalled the peace accords that had been
signed. He thanked all those who had been involved in the fight for
peace and democracy in the country. He pointed to signs of hope for
Burundi, such as the 90% debt cancellation that would help towards
economic recovery, and the inclusive army that is now operating and
ensuring peace and security.

After taking the oath and receiving various symbols of power from his
predecessor, the new President delivered his inaugural speech. He
promised to work for unity and peace, and called on the PALIPEHUTU-FNL
to negotiate with the new administration. He vowed to fight against
genocide and exclusion, corruption and human rights violations. He
encouraged the members of Parliament to be in touch with, and listen to,
the population.

He stressed the importance of development, and the need to support
vulnerable people, such as orphans and victims of the war. He said that
the government would cooperate with other countries in the fight against
malaria and HIV/AIDS. He expressed gratitude to former leaders for their
pursuit of peace, and thanked the international community for its
support. He announced that, from the start of the academic year,
elementary education would be free, as pledged in the election campaign.
He called on religious leaders to support him and his government in
prayer.

Among the many challenges facing the new President are those of justice,
reconciliation, and reconstruction of a country torn apart by 12 years
of civil war. It is worth remembering that, at a news conference held
when he first took up office with the transitional government, he said,
"We take this opportunity to ask forgiveness from the people of Burundi
for all the harm we have done to them because of a war that was forced
on us". He added, "For our part, we forgive those who imposed this war
on us".

Pray that, throughout the years of his Presidency, he will seek God's
guidance in all things and act as God requires -

"He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require
of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your
God" -- Micah 6 v 8

http://www.aco.org/acns/digest/index.cfm?years=2005&months=9&article=447
&pos=#447

(446) 02-September-2005 - Archbishop Ndungane Responds to Criticism of
Home-Building - South Africa

Statement from Archbishop Njongonkulu Ndungane on Criticism of the
Quality of Community Housing

[SAF - Southern Africa] On returning from a week-long retreat, I read
with concern the reports in the newspapers about allegations made
against the Cape Town Community Housing Company (CTCHCo) - whose board I
chair - by Mr Robin Carlisle of the Democratic Alliance.

For some time Mr Carlisle has had problems with various aspects of the
CTCHCo and has communicated his concerns to the CTCHCo. As far as I am
aware, the management of the CTCHCo has supplied him with feedback and
in fact, on more than one occasion, has offered to meet with Mr Carlisle
to address his concerns.

I myself wrote to Mr Carlisle on the 16th March of this year. In my
letter I said that given the seriousness of his allegations I felt that
the matter was best dealt with at the level of the Board of Directors
and I recommended that a meeting be convened between the Board and Mr
Carlisle. Mr Carlisle has apparently not availed himself of the
opportunity for further face-to-face communication.

It is unfortunate therefore that he has decided to make his concerns
public in this way. He has appealed to [Western Cape] Premier Rasool to
intervene. I trust the Premier's judgement and welcome any intervention
he deems necessary in this matter.

http://www.aco.org/acns/digest/index.cfm?years=2005&months=9&article=446
&pos=#446