From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Archbishop of Canterbury - Prayers for victims of Hurricane Katrina

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2005 11:10:30 -0700

ACNS 4029 | LAMBETH | 02 SEPTEMBER 2005

Archbishop of Canterbury - Prayers for victims of Hurricane Katrina

The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, has expressed his deep
concern for those caught up in the devastation of the Gulf Coast of the
United States following the recent hurricane. "I have watched with deep
concern the unfolding tragedy in the United States in the wake of the
devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina. Like so many, I feel
particularly for those still waiting for news about their loved ones. "I
know that churches in the area have been heavily affected, but I have
been heartened to learn of the ministry of the chaplains involved with
the emergency and rescue services. It is important to remember and
support their vital work. "I hold all those affected in my prayers at
this dreadful time."

Dr Williams has written personally to the Presiding Bishop of the
Episcopal Church of the USA and to the Bishops of Alabama, the Central
Gulf Coast, Louisiana and Mississippi.