From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Letter From Presiding Bishop Hanson On Hurricane Katrina

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Sat, 3 Sep 2005 10:54:49 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

September 3, 2005

Letter From Presiding Bishop Hanson On Hurricane Katrina

The Rev. Mark S. Hanson, presiding bishop of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) issued the following letter on
Sept. 2, 2005:

Letter from Presiding Bishop Mark Hanson on the Devastation of
Hurricane Katrina

I write to you from Bethlehem where I am meeting with leaders of
the Lutheran World Federation. We are following the tragic impact
of Hurricane Katrina throughout the Gulf Coast of the United
States. We are praying for those who are suffering, as they
struggle for the most basic of life's necessities. I remember the
generous outpouring of support from Lutherans throughout the
world for the victims of the recent tsunami in Southeast Asia,
and pray that we will be as generous in our response to this
current disaster.

The process of recovery for Hurricane Katrina will be long and
difficult. I am profoundly grateful that we are part of a church
with networks of outreach and support to care for those in
desperate need. Our giving to ELCA Domestic Disaster Response
provides immediate relief and assistance to survivors for as long
as it is needed. ELCA staff have been in ongoing conversation
with leaders of rescue efforts, in an effort to coordinate the
resettlement of those refugees left homeless in Katrina's wake. I
encourage each of us to give generously to these efforts, as we
live out the gospel by providing financial assistance, volunteer
time, and the ministry of presence.

As we hear the heartbreaking stories of people who are suffering
and dying from this disaster, we are reminded of refugees
throughout the world. Please pray for all who struggle and suffer
from the injustices of hunger, homelessness, and despair. I ask
you to join me in renewing our commitment as Lutherans to be
present wherever there is suffering, to bring healing and hope in
Jesus' name.

"For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor
rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor
height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation will be able
to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord."

The Rev. Mark S. Hanson
Presiding Bishop, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
President, Lutheran World Federation

P. S. You may contribute to the ELCA Domestic Disaster Response
through your congregation or synod office, or directly by mail
(checks payable to "ELCA Domestic Disaster Response") to P.O. Box
#71764, Chicago, Illinois 60694-1764 (note "Hurricane Katrina
relief" on the memo line) or with a credit card by phone (800-638-
3522) or online ( http://www.ELCA.org/giving ). Thrivent Financial
for Lutherans has announced a generous gift supplement program
for individual Thrivent members giving to Hurricane Katrina
relief and recovery. If you are a member of Thrivent Financial,
please visit http://www.thrivent.com/fraternal/katrina.html for
more information and an important form that is required for the
supplement. We are grateful for Thrivent's partnership in our
ELCA Domestic Disaster Response ministry!
-- -- --
The letter is available at
http://www.ELCA.org/bishop/m_050902.html on the ELCA Web site.

For information contact: