From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutheran Disaster Response Leader Visits Astrodome, Houston

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Sat, 3 Sep 2005 18:05:52 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

September 3, 2005

Lutheran Disaster Response Leader Visits Astrodome, Houston
05-163-MRC

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- In a Sept. 2 visit to the Astrodome in
Houston, Heather L. Feltman, director for Lutheran Disaster
Response, said thousands of people there are "suffering and
hurting. Many have not had food or water for days." The
Astrodome is shelter for more than 11,000 people who escaped
Hurricane Katrina Aug. 28-29.
Lutheran Disaster Response -- a ministry of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) and Lutheran Church-Missouri
Synod -- is working to provide immediate assistance to people
displaced from their homes, communities and work. It is also
coordinating volunteer efforts for search and rescue operations,
and providing grants and emotional and spiritual care for
survivors of the hurricane.
With some access granted to enter devastated areas of
Alabama and Mississippi, Lutheran Disaster Response has begun
participating in clean-up and recovery efforts and identifying
some Lutheran congregations to serve as food and water
distribution sites, as well as health clinics. This response is
being coordinated with other interfaith and community efforts.
"I have visited the Astrodome to see how Lutherans can
assist" with "the critical situation" there, said Feltman, who
also serves as director for ELCA Domestic Disaster Response. "I
spoke with many individuals and families this morning and though
angry, frustrated and wondering what will happen next, they are
thankful that the church is there," she said.
"A woman wanted to pray, we prayed. A young man wanted to
share a psalm, we said the psalm together. Families were singing
their favorite hymns, and I joined in. All were thankful for
their lives and that the church has heard their plea for help,"
she said.
Lutherans have committed to serving food and water in the
Astrodome, said Feltman. "We are in the process of determining
other potential meal programs in San Antonio and Dallas," where
more people displaced by the hurricane have been sent for
shelter. "As always, we are coordinating these efforts with the
local Red Cross and United Way to ensure that those in these
shelters are provided an appropriate meal, water and health
care," she said.
- - -
DOMESTIC DISASTERS:
Editors: When listing organizations receiving funds to aid
survivors of major disasters inside the United States, Puerto
Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands, please include:
ELCA Domestic Disaster Response, P.O. Box 71764,
Chicago, Illinois 60694-1764
Credit card gift line: 1-800-638-3522
Credit card gifts via Internet:
http://www.ELCA.org/disaster/katrina