From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutherans Deploy Volunteers for Hurricane Debris Removal

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Mon, 5 Sep 2005 00:07:08 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

September 5, 2005

Lutherans Deploy Volunteers for Hurricane Debris Removal
05-164-MRC

CHICAGO (ELCA) - Lutheran Disaster Response has gained
access to areas of Alabama and Mississippi devastated by
Hurricane Katrina, and it is ready to deploy volunteers for
debris removal within a week, according to Heather L. Feltman,
director for Lutheran Disaster Response, a ministry of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) and Lutheran Church-
Missouri Synod.
"In the face of heart-breaking news and images of despair
and destruction, I know it is hard to see the good news of the
day. But today I rejoice in several important steps in the
relief and recovery process," said Feltman, who also serves as
director for ELCA Domestic Disaster Response.
Volunteers assisting in the removal of debris "will need to
be self-contained, providing all food and water for themselves as
they serve," said Feltman. At present, devastated areas in
Alabama and Mississippi still have limited communication and no
electricity. Local food and water is being used to sustain the
lives of Hurricane Katrina survivors, she said.
Christus Victor Lutheran Church, Ocean Springs, Miss., "is
opening and has a temporary shelter and health clinic ready to
serve up to 500 persons. Many (Lutheran) congregations are
feeling called to do the same thing, and I thank God for you
all," Feltman said.
"The outpouring of compassion for each other in this
disaster continues to overwhelm me," she said. "Many have
offered their homes and time in response to this devastating
hurricane. We are recording each offer and invitation and are
committed to responding to every e-mail and phone call we
receive. We will be contacting volunteers as soon as they are
needed. Please be patient with us as we coordinate and manage
all these generous offers to serve. We are and will continue to
help those affected by (Hurricane Katrina) during the long
rebuilding and recovery process."
Feltman said, "Prayers are making a difference. I spoke
with one mother," who said she lost contact with two of her
daughters during an evacuation from New Orleans. "Her youngest
son is struggling with asthma. She shared with me that she
didn't think she would ever see (her children) again or would
have enough medicine for her son. (The morning of Sept. 3) she
received word that her daughters were located in a shelter in
Dallas, and soon after she received medicine for her son. Her
words to me were, 'All the prayers that people are offering
worked. Please ask them to keep praying for us.'"
- - -
DOMESTIC DISASTERS:
Editors: When listing organizations receiving funds to aid
survivors of major disasters inside the United States, Puerto
Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands, please include:
ELCA Domestic Disaster Response, P.O. Box 71764, Chicago,
Illinois 60694-1764
Credit card gift line: 1-800-638-3522
Credit card gifts via Internet:
http://www.ELCA.org/disaster/katrina