From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutheran Leaders Discuss Hospital Case with Israeli President

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Tue, 6 Sep 2005 16:46:45 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

September 6, 2005

Lutheran Leaders Discuss Hospital Case with Israeli President
05-167-JB

JERUSALEM (ELCA)-- Leaders of the Lutheran World Federation
(LWF), including the presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America (ELCA), discussed prospects for Middle East
peace and expressed specific financial concerns about the future
of Augusta Victoria Hospital in a 35-minute meeting with Israeli
President Moshe Katsav.
The Rev. Mark S. Hanson, LWF president and ELCA presiding
bishop, Chicago, the Rev. Rev. Ishmael Noko, LWF general
secretary, Geneva, and the Rev. Munib A. Younan, LWF vice
president, met with Katsav Sept. 5. Younan is bishop of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in Jordan and the Holy Land (ELCJHL).
The Lutherans are participating in the LWF Council meeting
Aug. 31-Sept. 6 here and in Bethlehem.
Hanson began the meeting by telling Katsav that the
Lutherans were pleased with the Israeli government's decision to
withdraw settlements from Gaza. The LWF Council "came here out
of our commitment to strengthen Jewish-Christian relationships
and Christian-Muslim relationships," he said.
Calling the withdrawal from Gaza "a historic opportunity,"
Katsav said the government's decision to withdraw was painful and
divided Israeli society. He said the "gap" between Israelis and
Palestinians "has never been as small as now." Palestinian
President Mahmoud Abbas, whom the LWF leaders met with Sept. 3,
has the ability to stop terrorism against Israeli civilians,
Katsav said.
Terrorism is key to why the Palestinian people are suffering
injustice, unemployment and poverty, Katsav said. If Abbas can
stop terrorism it will benefit the Palestinian people, Katsav
told the Lutherans.
"It will be an historical contribution, if he will do it.
If he will not do it, it will be an historical mistake. Sooner
or later, if the bloodshed continues, someone will be forced to
stop it. There will not be any other choice. We'll be forced to
do it. It will mean escalation. We don't want escalation,"
Katsav said.
"Stopping terrorism and violence is a major challenge,"
Hanson said in response. "We reject violence and support a just
and lasting peace for all." He told Katsav the Lutherans were
concerned about the "massive struggle" of the Palestinian people
to rebuild Gaza, and freedom of movement for people in the West
Bank, so that they are not separated from their jobs and
families.
Younan told Katsav that the security of Israel is dependent
on justice, peace and reconciliation for Palestinians. He said
local religious leaders have started a "Council for Religious
Leadership in the Holy Land" to promote greater religious
understanding.
Katsav responded that injustice and poverty for Palestinians
is a "direct result of the bloodshed. If it stops, there will be
political dialogue, and unemployment and poverty will be reduced
for Palestinians," he said.
"I believe that if the Lutheran Church can contribute
positively by stopping terrorism, we can renew political
negotiation and dialogue," the Israeli president said.
The LWF has tried to contribute to peace and international
understanding, Noko said. He cited the LWF action in 1984 to
renounce the anti-Jewish writings of Martin Luther, the German
church reformer who started the Protestant Reformation. A few
years later the ELCA took the same action, Hanson said.
Augusta Victoria Hospital, the LWF-operated health care
facility on the Mount of Olives in East Jerusalem, also
represents the LWF's commitment to peace and humanitarian
service, Noko said. It serves the medical needs of Palestinian
refugees, and it is open to everyone, he said.
Presently the hospital is facing the possibility of paying
hundreds of thousands of dollars in taxes to the State of Israel.
In 2002 Israel took the LWF to court seeking to void a long-
standing tax exemption the hospital has had since 1966 with
Jordan. The exemption was continued under the State of Israel in
1967.
Israel won the case in a district court. The LWF appealed
the verdict to the Israeli Supreme Court. The LWF leaders are
concerned the hospital's future may be jeopardized if the LWF
loses the appeal.
"It's a difficult situation for us to continue with
humanitarian services with the imposition of taxes. We hope that
we can find a solution," Noko said.
Hanson warned that if the government of Israel doesn't
intervene and solve the tax case fairly, it could have negative
consequences for Israel.
"It would appear that the government of Israel doesn't want
to find a way to sustain this humanitarian service. If we have
to close the hospital I would think that could be a political
liability for Israel," he told Katsav. More and more people are
watching this case and its implications for the hospital,
including the German president and prime minister of Norway, both
of whom have expressed concern to the Israeli government, Hanson
said.
Avi Granot, adviser to Katsav, said Augusta Victoria is
registered as a hospital not a religious institution. All
hospitals in Israel are taxed, he said. However, the Rev. Mark B.
Brown, LWF regional representative, Jerusalem, said Israeli
hospitals can qualify as teaching hospitals and receive subsides
for which Augusta Victoria cannot qualify.
In addition to regular medical services Augusta Victoria
provides specialized services, such as cancer and kidney
services, Brown said. "The hospital is unique. We're serving
people who are not part of the national health insurance (plan)
who have little or no capacity to pay."
"We hope this case can be solved because it is a burden on
us. It's not good for anybody," Younan said.
The case has political and religious implications, but the
Lutherans "understand the complexities you're facing," Hanson
said to Katsav. He asked Katsav and his staff for a written
proposal to resolve the case out of court.
In addition to the meeting with Katsav, the LWF leaders had
brief courtesy visits Sept. 5 with Israel's Minister of Foreign
Affairs, Silvan Shalom, Israel's Minister of the Interior, Ophir
Paz-Pines, and Jerusalem Mayor Uri Lupolianksi. In addition, the
LWF leaders, council members, advisors and staff were guests at a
reception hosted here by the Israeli Ministry of Tourism.
----
Information about the LWF Council meeting is at
http://www.lutheranworld.org on the Web.

For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/news