From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutheran Disaster Response Leader Meets with President Bush

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Tue, 6 Sep 2005 20:03:22 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

September 6, 2005

Lutheran Disaster Response Leader Meets with President Bush
05-168-MRC

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- At the invitation of U.S. President
George W. Bush, Heather L. Feltman, director for Lutheran
Disaster Response, attended a special meeting with religious
leaders from across the country at the White House Sept. 6 to
discuss Hurricane Katrina relief and recovery operations.
Lutheran Disaster Response is a ministry of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) and Lutheran Church-Missouri
Synod (LCMS).
President Bush "thanked Lutherans" for what they are
doing "to bring compassion to people who have been impacted by
Hurricane Katrina" and "bring hope to the hopeless," said
Feltman, who had an opportunity to tell the president about the
work of Lutheran Disaster Response.
"The mission of Lutheran Disaster Response is to provide
hope and healing for those who have been devastated by disaster.
We are committed to long-term (recovery) efforts for disasters
like Hurricane Katrina. We are mobilizing all aspects of the
Lutheran church to be available and support hurricane disaster
response, especially our Lutheran social ministry organizations,
our Lutheran refugee and immigration organization, our Lutheran
hospitals and our Lutheran counseling centers. We are accessible
and available to all people across the country, especially as
hurricane evacuees are being dispersed. We are here to rally
Lutherans to assist in these efforts. All of us serving together
are Lutheran Disaster Response," she said.
"President Bush said he is aware of the catastrophic
nature of this disaster, and he has pledged to be a part of
recovery efforts for the long-term," said Feltman.
"Former President Bill Clinton and former President
George H.W. Bush have raised $60 million for the governors' funds
of Alabama, Louisiana and Mississippi," Feltman said.
"President Bush's strategy also includes rebuilding
communities that have been devastated, so people may return
home," Feltman said. Some discussion on a "National Day of
Prayer surrounding this disaster" also took place, she said.

Lutheran Disaster Response and ELCA Domestic Disaster Response
"Lutheran congregations are working overtime" to meet the
needs of people affected by Hurricane Katrina, said Feltman, who
also serves as director for ELCA Domestic Disaster Response.
"Churches have turned into disaster centers, offering
food for the hungry, shelter to the homeless and comfort to the
bereaved. The generosity of (the Lutheran church) is making a
significant difference to all those who have been displaced by
Hurricane Katrina," said Feltman.
In addition to serving as disaster response centers, many
congregations are organizing work teams, collecting donations and
delivering materials to hurricane-affected communities, she said.
Many Lutherans who are volunteering to enter devastated
areas for debris removal and clean up are organizing themselves
to be "self-sufficient," providing food and water for themselves
while they serve, said Feltman. "It is essential that when our
teams arrive on-site to volunteer, they will have all the
resources they need so they don't tax local resources. If you
want to volunteer, take the extra time to plan and prepare," she
said.
"Of particular concern are (hurricane) survivors
displaced (from their homes) or in other vulnerable positions,"
she said. "The devastating degree of flooding (produced by the
hurricane) will cause long-term environmental challenges."
Information on volunteer opportunities and making
donations are available on the Internet at www.elca.org/disaster
Lutheran Disaster Response and ELCA Domestic Disaster
Response have been coordinating emergency and long-term disaster
response "with other faith-based and community disaster
partners," said Feltman. Both are working to provide immediate
assistance to people displaced from their homes, communities and
work; emotional and spiritual support for those affected by the
hurricane; care for caregivers; and hardship grants for Lutherans
and others "who need short-term assistance for expenses such as
rent, insurance deductibles or special medical equipment" not
covered under insurance or FEMA grants, she said.

ELCA Texas-Louisiana Gulf Coast Synod
The ELCA Texas-Louisiana Gulf Coast Synod will hold a
"Service of Healing and Recovery" at Faith Lutheran Church,
Bellaire, Texas, on Sept. 7 at 7:00p.m. The Rev. Paul J. Blom,
bishop of the ELCA Texas-Louisiana Gulf Coast Synod, Houston,
will preach.
The synod is made up of 130 congregations, with 19
congregations in Louisiana. As many as 10 congregations in
Louisiana may have sustained damage from wind and flood produced
by the hurricane, and several church buildings are under water.
Synod staff is guiding hurricane survivors to where they
can get help and providing information for people who would like
to help, said Blom.
House of Prayer Lutheran Church, Harvey, La., has
sustained "more damage than we thought," said Blom. The church
has sustained water damage and part of the ceiling fell in, he
said.
Residents from Covington, La., are returning home and
need help removing downed trees. Lutherans from Baton Rouge,
La., are working to set up "staging areas" to provide recovery
assistance, Blom reported.
ELCA congregations in the Houston area are participating
in efforts to relocate some evacuees from the Astrodome to other
places, "where the quality of life may be better," he said.

ELCA Southeastern Synod
Through the Lutheran-Episcopal Services of Mississippi
Ascension Lutheran Church, Jackson, Miss., is serving as a
"distribution center," offering relief supplies to people
impacted by the hurricane, said Elaine S. Schwartz, director for
communication resources, ELCA Southeastern Synod, Atlanta.
Christus Victor, Ocean Springs, Miss., is set up to serve
as a Red Cross shelter to house hurricane evacuees, she said.
Staff of the ELCA Southeastern Synod has and continues to
receive calls and e-mails from people across the country offering
help and expressions of love, said Schwartz. "The response has
been just overwhelming," she said. "It makes us feel thankful to
be part of God's community."

Lutheran World Relief
To aid survivors of Hurricane Katrina, Lutheran World
Relief (LWR) is sending health kits to Lutheran Disaster
Response's staging area in Jackson, Miss. LWR is the overseas
relief and development ministry of the ELCA and LCMS.
"Historically, Lutheran World Relief has focused on
emergency response overseas, but given the unprecedented nature
of Hurricane Katrina, we feel that it is appropriate to make a
rare exception and distribute the items domestically," said
Brenda Meier, LWR's parish project associate, Baltimore.
"I feel confident that the people who created and sent
these health kits to LWR will wholeheartedly support our decision
to use these material resources right here in the United States,"
she said.
Heath kits contain one hand towel, a wash cloth, one
bath-sized bar of soap, one adult-size toothbrush, one
five-to-seven ounce tube of toothpaste, comb, one metal nail file
or nail clippers, and six bandages.
Once the shipment of heath kits have been received by
Lutheran Disaster Response and distribution begins, LWR and
Lutheran Disaster Response will assess what additional material
resources, if any, may be appropriate for use in relief efforts,
said Meier. "We are pleased to support the work of Lutheran
Disaster Response in this emergency situation," she said, "and
will continue to offer what we can to assist them in our ongoing
relief efforts."
- - -
DOMESTIC DISASTERS:

Editors: When listing organizations receiving funds to aid
survivors of major disasters inside the United States, Puerto
Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands, please include:
ELCA Domestic Disaster Response, P.O. Box 71764,
Chicago, Illinois 60694-1764
Credit card gift line: 1-800-638-3522
Credit card gifts via Internet:
http://www.elca.org/disaster/katrina