From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Take A Stand for Peace and Justice on Sept. 24

From UfmccHq@aol.com
Date Wed, 7 Sep 2005 19:18:56 EDT

N E W S R E L E A S E
For Immediate Release: September 7, 2005

Statement by Moderator-elect of Metropolitan Community Churches:
"Take A Stand for Peace and Justice on Sept. 24

A Message To U.S. Congregations
>From The Rev. Elder Nancy Wilson
MCC Moderator-elect

Blessed are the peacemakers, they shall be called Children of God... If
someone hits you on the right cheek, offer the other as well.... Love your
enemies and pray for those who persecute you, in this way you will be
Children of
God in heaven... (Gospel of Matthew, Chapter 5)

Dear Faithful Friend:

Those of us who have studied these words of Jesus over the years have come
to realize that his words call us not to passive resignation but to stand
boldly for what we most fervently believe in: the value, dignity and worth
of
all life.

As we in Metropolitan Community Churches prepare to launch a new ten-year
initiative that will focus on human rights around the globe, it is
imperative
that we, as people and communities of faith in the United States, take our
place with the more than 150 other faith-based organizations that have
already
signed on to the "United for Peace and Justice March on Washington" on
September 24th in Washington, D.C.

Many have died already. The figures we see daily -- the names and faces of
young men and women printed in our newspapers -- do not include the many
Iraqi
civilians and soldiers who have also perished. And we now know beyond a
shadow of a doubt that no weapons of mass destruction existed in Iraq and we
know
with certainty that the Iraqi people were not responsible for the attacks of

September 11, 2001, in the United States.

The call to march for peace, to bring all troops home, to end military
occupation and to redirect our nation's resources, both human and material,
toward
things such as
housing and health care and education, is not about political allegiance or
party
affiliation and does not take away from our deepest respect for those who
have made
choices of conviction that led to great sacrifice. The call to march for
peace is about
honoring our firm conviction that we are all the beloved Children of God. It
is that simple.

We are a divergent people of many political persuasions and alliances. We
hold many views on our nation's policies and how best to express our love
for
the land we call the United States and the principles it seeks to stand on.

And I want to affirm that, as throughout MCC's history, neither the
Moderator nor the Elders nor any other MCC leader has the right to tell you
how to
believe, vote, or exercise your personal convictions.

But, I am personally persuaded that now is the time to lift our voices for
peace, and that we can do so by taking a stand, along with many other faith
communities, on September 24. Both Rev. Elder Perry and I have already
added
our personal endorsements to the "United for Peace and Justice March on
Washington."

The one thing we all hold in common is our belief in the Gospel and its
imperative that we reverence all life as if coming into the very presence of

Christ (Matthew 25).

We can have a foreign policy based on justice and compassion for all.

We can honor the right to life and equal dignity for all.

We can honor our dead by telling the truth about what happened on September
11th four years ago and working to end the violence that took so many lives
then and that continues to claim so many now.

Together, we can make a difference in our world. I invite you to prayerfully

consider participating in the upcoming March on Washington.

On September 24, I will be in Australia for the international events that
are part of my journey to the Moderator's Installation. I am pleased that
Rev.
Pat Bumgardner, senior pastor of MCC New York, will be my personal
representative at the "United for Peace and Justice March on Washington" and
will
represent us at the Interfaith Service that will be part of the DC
mobilization
the following day, on Sunday, September 25.

Please let me know if you and members of your community of faith will be
part of this massive march for peace on September 24th by writing to me at
_info@MCCchurch.org_ (mailto:info@MCCchurch.org) . You will also find
information
on buses and seat bookings through United for Peace and Justice at _
www.unitedforpeace.org/ride_ (http://www.unitedforpeace.org/ride) . The site
is
organized by state. You may purchase single seats, order blocks of 10 or
reserve
an entire bus to leave from a designated location.

Finally, while I am writing these words to residents of the United States,
we stand in solidarity on behalf of peace with people of goodwill from
around
the globe, and ask for the prayers of our brothers and sisters everywhere
the
U.S. government for justice and compassion.

Twenty-six years ago, Metropolitan Community Churches was part of the
first-ever March on Washington for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender
rights.
On September 24th, we have a historic opportunity to expand our commitment
justice on behalf of all God's children.

Grace and peace,

The Rev. Nancy Wilson
Moderator-elect
Metropolitan Community Churches (http://www.mccchurch.org/)