From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Hurricane inspires Presbyterian to write hymn for those

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Fri, 9 Sep 2005 15:32:50 -0500

Note #8896 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

05471
Sept. 9, 2005

Hurricane inspires Presbyterian to write
hymn for God's people 'feeling forsaken'

by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE - Noted Presbyterian hymn writer Carolyn Gillette has penned a new
hymn in the wake of the devastation wrought by Hurricane Katrina.

Gillette's hymn, "God of Creation," is written to the tune
Herzliebster Jesu ("Ah, Holy Jesus"). She has granted free use of the hymn to
all churches that support the hurricane relief efforts of Presbyterian
Disaster Assistance and Church World Service.

Gillette, who is co-pastor with her husband, Bruce, of Limestone
Presbyterian Church in Wilmington, DE, said she began writing the hymn
shortly after Hurricane Katrina wiped out much of the Gulf Coast on Aug. 29
and finished it Sept. 1.

The text of the hymn:

GOD OF CREATION

God of creation, We have seen the horror-
Great devastation, Overwhelming sorrow!
Hear now your people - Homes and loved ones taken -
Feeling forsaken.

Christ of compassion, You who calmed the rough sea -
Hurricane crashing, We prayed for your mercy!
Comfort your people! Hold them close, now giving
Hope for their living.

Give to your children Food to end their hunger,
Clean water's blessing, News of those they long for!
And by your Spirit, Use our gifts and labors
To help our neighbors.

Biblical references: Gen. 1, Psalm 13, Matt. 8:23-27, 25:31-46; Luke
10:25-37
Tune: Johann Cruger, 1640
Text: Copyright (c) 2005 by Carolyn Winfrey Gillette. All rights reserved.