From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[UMNS-ALL-NEWS] UMNS# 507-Hurricane Katrina underscores Children's

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2005 16:00:34 -0500

Hurricane Katrina underscores Children's Sabbath this year

Sep. 14, 2005

NOTE: A photograph is available at http://umns.umc.org.

By United Methodist News Service

The Hurricane Katrina disaster that struck the U.S. Gulf Coast has been
accompanied by powerful images of the plight of children-images that
will be in the minds of many congregations marking Children's Sabbath
this fall.

The 14th annual National Observance of Children's Sabbaths is sponsored
by the Children's Defense Fund, a nonprofit, Washington-based
organization. Many congregations, including United Methodist churches,
set aside a Sunday during the fall to focus on justice for children
living in poverty.

The third weekend in October - Oct. 14-16 this year - has traditionally
been designated for Children's Sabbath, but the date "is totally up to
the discretion of the congregation," said the Rev. Sally Jo Snyder, a
United Methodist and director of the Children's Defense Fund.

The United Methodist Board of Discipleship's Web site notes that, in the
church, the event is observed Oct. 7-9.

"Last year, we had over 10,000 (churches) participate around the
country," Snyder said. Of all the denominations and religious
organizations that participate, United Methodists lead the way in
number, she added.

The need for focusing on children's concerns is urgent, Snyder said.

"We want to really build a movement for children in the 21st century,
which sadly we need," she said.

In the United States, 9 million children are without health insurance,"
she said. Many children are born into a "cradle-to-prison pipeline," she
said, noting that a black boy born in 2001 has a 1 in 3 chance of going
to prison during his life.

The Children's Defense Fund is responding to the Hurricane Katrina
disaster by helping children and families through its offices in
Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas, and its national headquarters in
Washington. "We are helping displaced families locate their loved ones,
working with other national organizations, such as Feed the Children, to
identify where their resources can best be used, and coordinating with
state and federal officials to identify the needs that children in
particular have and will have as they work through this crisis," the
organization said.

Many of the people most affected by the hurricane and its aftermath were
poor people.
"We do not want to simply send all of these people who deal with extreme
hardships every day back to the same life that they had before the
hurricane," the organization said. The hurricane disaster is an
opportunity to "lift our most vulnerable children and families to a
place where they can lead the lives to which they are entitled."

The Children's Defense Fund's Web site, www.childrensdefense.org, has
information on how congregations can get involved in responding to
children's issues as well as resources for Children's Sabbath and
year-round ministries.

Those resources include a 260-page manual, National Observance of
Children's Sabbaths Manual: Putting our Faith into Action to Seek
Justice for Children. "The manual tells everything you need to know,"
Snyder said. The book provides materials for use in worship services,
study groups, newsletters and bulletins, and educational programs for
adults, youth and children.

Details on ordering the book and other information about the Children's
Defense Fund are available on the Web site or by calling Snyder, (202)
662-3579.

News media contact: Tim Tanton, Nashville, Tenn., (615) 742-5470 or
newsdesk@umcom.org.