From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] AGR announces new leadership for Africa and Asiamerica offices

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Thu, 22 Sep 2005 18:35:10 -0400

Daybook, from Episcopal News Service

September 22, 2005 - Thursday Thesis: People of Purpose

AGR announces new leadership for Africa and Asiamerica offices

[Episcopal News Service] The Episcopal Church's Office of Anglican &
Global
Relations (AGR) recently announced the addition of the Rev. Emmanuel K.
Sserwadda of the Diocese of New York, and the Rev. Canon Charles Amuzie,
Ph.D. of the Diocese of Georgia, to the Africa Partnership Office, and
Peter
Ng, former Executive Council member and president emeritus of the
Episcopal
Asiamerica Ministry Council, to the newly created Partnership Office for
Asia and the Pacific.

Sserwadda, a priest with 25 years' experience in both the USA and
Uganda,
will serve on the Presiding Bishop's staff as interim Partnership
Officer
for Africa until after the General Convention next year. He will focus
on
the Episcopal Church's relationships with the 12 African provinces of
the
Anglican Communion, ecumenical bodies in the region, and councils and
agencies in the USA whose work supports the church in Africa.

An integral part of the Anglican and Global Relations cluster, he also
will
work closely with colleagues at the Episcopal Church Center who serve on
the
Africa Staff Team.

Amuzie will lead the African Anglican Chaplaincy, which was instituted
several years ago to assist U.S. bishops, clergy and lay leaders in
welcoming expatriate Africans into our congregations and diocesan life.

He will work collaboratively not only with Sserwadda, but also with the
Rev.
Angela Ifill, missioner for Black Ministries across the Episcopal
Church,
and other national church staff.

"I am so pleased that these two committed priests of our church have
agreed
to take on additional national responsibilities at this critical time,"
Larom said. "The importance of the African churches, and the faithful
members of those churches who are living among us in the USA, is well
recognized. At least half of the world's Christians who call themselves
Anglican are living in Africa, and twelve of the Communion's 38
provinces
are there."

Ng will have primary responsibility for relationships with the 14
Anglican
Communion provinces in the region (including the four united churches of
South Asia). He will also help the Episcopal Church connect with area
ecumenical councils, and support the efforts of organizations in the USA
working on behalf of the churches in Asia and the Pacific.

Immediate responsibilities include staffing the Joint Committee on the
Philippine Covenant, and helping to plan the Presiding Bishop's visit to
Japan, Korea, China and Taiwan during October.

"The Anglican and Global Relations cluster has not had a staff person
dedicated to this region since the major restructuring and downsizing of
1994," Larom said. "We are honored that Peter has accepted this position
and
already are feeling the benefits of his tremendous experience and
expertise
in the region. He is absolutely devoted to the Episcopal Church, a
tireless
worker, a true servant who understands our mission and brings marvelous
skill to complex situations."

In his new national staff position, Ng will work closely with the Rev.
Winfred Vergara, Asiamerica missioner, and will have collegial
relationships
with Peace and Justice Ministries, Episcopal Relief and Development, and
other offices whose work connects with the region.

A new inter-departmental staff team for Asia and the Pacific is
envisioned,
similar to existing teams focusing on Africa as well as Latin America
and
the Caribbean.

Ng was instrumental in creating the Episcopal Church's first Jubilee
Center
in an Asian congregation, the Church of Our Savior in lower Manhattan,
and
served as its director from 1992 onward. Much of the center's work is
financed through the publishing ministry, called Mission Graphics, and a
computer support service operated by recent immigrants trained at Our
Savior's education center.

"Mr. Ng is indefatigable when it comes to the ministry of hospitality,
and
delegations from the China Christian Council and other important Asian
church leaders know that he will pick them up at the airport, get them
their meetings, arrange banquets with local church leaders, and stay in
touch after they've gone," said Larom. "The courtesy and respect he
demonstrates spring from a deep well of faith and love, and earn a
response
in kind. We are lucky to have him."

"The Episcopal Church is committed to strengthening mission partnership
throughout the Anglican Communion," said the Rev. Dr. James B. Lemler,
director of Mission for the Episcopal Church. "The naming of these
excellent
leaders for focus in Africa and Asia enhances our work in these areas.
This
strategy connects to the work of mission generation and interpretation
with
many collaborators in the Episcopal Church and throughout the
Communion."