From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] ERD partners with Episcopal Migration Ministries to support

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2005 15:43:50 -0400

September 22, 2005

ERD partners with Episcopal Migration Ministries to support relocation
of
Hurricane Katrina evacuees

Ayana Davis, Episcopal Relief and Development

[Episcopal News Service] Episcopal Relief and Development has partnered
with Episcopal Migration Ministries (EMM) to help relocate people
displaced
by Hurricane Katrina. The partnership will support EMM in providing
initial
funding assistance to dioceses where there are large numbers of people
from
devastated communities in the Gulf Coast region.

"When the Presiding Bishop Frank T. Griswold asked EMM to assist
evacuees,
we knew we could apply our expertise in resettling overseas refugees,"
said
C. Richard Parkins, EMM Director. "EMM counts on parish involvement, and
in
the days immediately following the hu
rricane, we were not surprised to have over 1000 offers of sponsorship
from
dioceses, congregations, and church institutions. Those displaced
families
who cannot return home and have no other options will be helped," said
Parkins.

The relocation project assists evacuees in finding support and temporary
or
permanent resettlement in communities where Episcopalians and others
have
extended hospitality. ERD's support will train four teams of three
people to
screen and interview evacuees needing relocation assistance. It will
also
provide instruction and technical assistance for up to 10 dioceses that
will
support displaced people through congregations and communities.

Initially, EMM will serve in the Dioceses of Louisiana, Mississippi,
Texas,
West Texas, and West Tennessee by screening and facilitating the
relocation
of a number of evacuees to communities offering sponsorship.

"ERD is privileged to partner with EMM for this important work in
helping
people to reestablish their lives," said Abagail Nelson, Vice President
of
Program for ERD.

For more information on the project, please visit
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/emm

To make a contribution to help people affected by Hurricane Katrina,
please
donate to the Hurricane Katrina Response Fund by credit card at
http://www.er-d.org/ or by calling 1-800-334-7626, ext. 5129. Gifts can
be
mailed to: Episcopal Relief and Development, c/o Hurricane Katrina
Response
Fund, PO Box 12043, Newark, NJ 07101.

-------

Episcopal Relief and Development is the international relief and
development agency of the Episcopal Church of the United States. An
independent 501(c) 3 organization, ERD saves lives and builds hope in
communities around the world. We provide emergency assistance in times
of
crisis and rebuild after disasters. We enable people to climb out of
poverty
by offering long-term solutions in the areas of food security and health
care, including HIV/AIDS and malaria.