From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Western Louisiana's bishop notes 'much loss,

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2005 21:20:23 -0400

Episcopal News Service
Monday, September 26, 2005

Western Louisiana's bishop notes 'much loss,' yet much grace after
hurricanes

Clergy, many church buildings safe; central region awaits restoration of
water systems

[ENS] Assessing the aftermath of Hurricane Rita, Bishop D. Bruce
MacPherson
of the Diocese of Western Louisiana has expressed his gratitude for the
"witness of Christian care and concern" that continues to unfold across
the
affected regions.

Writing in an e-mail message posted this evening (September 26),
MacPherson
points to the power of healing and resurrection as the recovery process
begins. (Full text of MacPherson's message follows here; links for
online
relief contributions and coordinated churchwide response are posted at
www.episcopalchurch.org/help).

"The wind is calm and the sun shines forth, yet we live within the
continuing realm and effects of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita," MacPherson
writes. "It has been a little over 48 hours since Rita hit shore on the
Texas/Louisiana border. Much has taken place in these past hours, and in
fact the hours leading up to her arrival as people from across
southern
Louisiana and the southeastern part of Texas fled in a variety of
directions.

"What are the effects upon our diocese and this part of the state of
Louisiana? Much destruction; the town of Cameron, Louisiana, just
south of
Lake Charles is gone. The reports of this day state that 'not a single
house
is left.' Across in the east side of the diocese in Vermillion Parish,
and
on the south side of Abbeville, the area south of Highway 90 is
underwater
to the rooftops, and as of this afternoon more than 1,000 people have
been
rescued from their water-engulfed settings. There is much loss from one
side
of the diocese to the other, and moving north, many crops that were
swept
away.

"Looking at our diocese, I must state that I am once again so grateful
for
witness of Christian care and concern, and for the outpouring of support
across the diocese as people from within the Diocese of Western
Louisiana
came north seeking a place to stay, and in their midst, Katrina evacuees
that had begun to go home, found themselves returning to the many places
of
shelter being provided to those who came from the Dioceses of Louisiana
and
Mississippi.

"A major difference in our ability to care for all who came this
time was
the fact that we ourselves had been struck and our infrastructure
wounded. Power resources failed along with telephone systems across
the
affected areas, which were almost statewide now as a result of the two
storms. This was further complicated by the failure of our water systems
across the central part of the diocese, an area that has literally
housed
thousands of evacuees.

"This night finds us waiting to see the return of the commodity that
we so
often take for granted -- water. Hardtner Camp and Conference Center, a
major shelter for evacuees over the past four weeks, had to shut down
and
the people placed in other settings due to the lack of power and water.

"Throughout this time, I have sought to locate our clergy from the
southern
portion to check on their safety, their families, and the people
committed
to their care. Also important to learn was how the communities and
churches
were doing.

"After almost two days of calling, I am pleased to say that I have
either
made contact with each of the clergy or with someone who knew where they
were and how they were doing. As I made contact with the last person
this
day, and having found him two states east of here, I stated I truly
understood Jesus' parable about the 'lost coin,' for he and his family
were
'my lost coin.'

"I am pleased, however, that although the clergy are scattered across
a vast
geographical area of several states, all are accounted for and reported
be safe. All of the congregations across the Lake Charles Convocation
haven't been reported on as yet, and this being due to
inaccessibility. Word
is the church structures fared well, although so much of the area was
severely damaged or destroyed. Due to conditions of continued flooding
and
debris, the authorities report it will be 3-5 days before they allow the
local residents to start returning.

"I had hoped to be able to visit the area by now, but in a telephone
conversation today with the Washington office of one of our congressmen,
was advised to refrain a few days as they were 'concerned' for my
safety. I
will say they were helpful in lining up the necessary contacts for me.

"The most common thing one will hear at the moment, as people look at
what
has transpired, is the phrase 'It is unbelievable.' But then, this was
the
reaction of many to the empty tomb of Easter, and out of this came
the resurrection promise, the gift of life. I pray this night that
those
affected so personally by all that has taken place will experience the
presence of the risen Christ and God's healing grace."

More on the ministries of the Diocese of Western Louisiana is posted
online
at www.diocesewla.org.