From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Change,

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 27 Sep 2005 13:49:56 -0400

Daybook, from Episcopal News Service

September 27, 2005 - Tuesday to Note & To Read

Change, decisions and conflict are focus of Congregational Development
seminar

[Episcopal News Service] "Leading congregations through change,
decisions,
and conflict" is the theme of the Upward Bound seminar January 16-19,
2006,
in San Diego, California.

Upward Bound, sponsored by the Episcopal Church's Office of
Congregational
Development, addresses the personal work congregational leaders need to
do
in order to lead in challenging times of growth and change.

The seminar work is personal, intensive, and transforming. During the
four
day training, participants will:

* Learn how to examine a conflicted situation and their place in it;
* Explore their individual awareness of how to receive approval and
support;

* Understand the different levels of needs and their implications for
congregational behavior;
* Increase listening and feedback skills for clarity rather than
inference
or judgment;
* Distinguish between problems that are theirs and others;
* Develop skills to stop participating in destructive games and negative
cycles;
* Renegotiate relationships after conflict has erupted.

To register, visit
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/upward_63919_ENG_HTM.htm
or call 800.334.7626 ext. 6003, before December 19, 2005. The fee is
$675
and includes four nights of lodging, and eight meals.

Future seminar dates are: October 9-12, 2006, Charleston, South
Carolina,
and February 5-8, 2007, Honolulu, Hawaii.

Note: The following titles are available from the Episcopal
Book/Resource
Center, 815 Second Avenue, New York, NY 10017; 800.334.7626 ext. 6118;
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org/

TRANSFORMATIONAL MINISTRY: Church Leadership and the Way of the Cross by
Michael Jinkins, Saint Andrews Press http://www.standrewpress.com/
Edinburgh, Scotland, 2002, $14.99 pages 56.

>From the publishers: Transformational Ministry looks at the role of
leadership in Christian ministry. Whether we are at worship or in a
committee meeting, speaking to children in church or providing pastoral
care, the great goal of ministry is the transformation of persons into
the
likeness of Jesus Christ.

Michael Jinkins is an ordained minister in the Presbyterian Church. He
was
awarded an Oxford Foundation Fellowship by the Graduate Theological
Foundation during his 1999 sabbatical at the University of Oxford. He is
the
author of many articles and eight books.

CHURCH CONFLICT: The Hidden Systems behind the Fights by Charles H.
Cosgrove
and Dennis D. Hatfield Abingdon Press, Nashville, Tennessee, 1994, pages
192.

>From the publishers: By using stories and narrative examples of real
problems at actual churches in conflict, Charles Cosgrove and Dennis
Hatfield help us identify the hidden structural boundaries in any group
relationship. The authors the provide strategies for dealing with
conflict
at the level of these hidden "family" dynamics.

Charles H. Cosgrove is the author of The Cross and the Spirit.

Dennis D. Hatfield's pastoral experience includes churches in
Massachusetts,
Minnesota, and Michigan.