From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Pastor Speaker on 'Day 1' Radio Program Oct. 2

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2005 09:44:03 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

September 28, 2005

ELCA Pastor Speaker on 'Day 1' Radio Program Oct. 2
05-181-JB

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Rev. Ann M. Svennungsen, president,
The Fund for Theological Education, Atlanta, and a pastor of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), is the featured
speaker on the Oct. 2 broadcast of "Day 1," heard on radio
stations throughout the United States and on the Internet.
The Fund for Theological Education provides fellowships and
networks of support to pastors and scholars from all Christian
denominations and backgrounds. The Fund also helps congregations
and denominations nurture men and women for ministry and
teaching.
The title of Svennungsen's broadcast is "The Gift of
Community," in which she speaks about community in congregations,
pastoral leadership and healing.
"I believe that we need good congregations. We need good
pastors. It's within community that we are healed. It's within
community that we bear the fruit of healing and justice for the
world; but even more than pastors and congregations, even more
than fruit and branches, we need the vine," she said in the
broadcast.
"We need the presence of Christ. Jesus said, 'I am the vine;
you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear
much fruit.' Yes, we are called to abide, to remain in Christ and
in his community," Svennungsen said.
"As disciples, we abide in Jesus Christ. We delight in the
community of branches that surround us on the vine, and we
rejoice in a God who promises to hold us secure. For, you see,
this God will never get tired. This God will never let you go,"
she said.
Svennungsen is a public speaker and author of several
articles and Bible studies. She serves on the Alban Institute
board of trustees. The institute, an ecumenical, interfaith
organization, provides resources to congregations through book
publishing, educational seminars, consulting services and
research.
Svennungsen holds a bachelor's degree in mathematics from
Concordia College, Moorhead, Minn., where she graduated summa cum
laude. In 1981 she received a master of divinity degree at Luther
Seminary, St. Paul, Minn., where she was a recipient of the
Seminary Preaching Award.
Before her present role as fund president, Svennungsen
served seven years as senior pastor of Trinity Lutheran Church,
Moorhead, Minn. She also served as pastor of congregations in
Iowa City, Iowa, and Minneapolis.
---
Information about "Day 1" radio stations, broadcast times
and speakers is at http://www.day1.net on the Web.

For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/news