From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Religious Leaders Oppose Endangered Species Act

From "NCC News" <pjenks@ncccusa.org>
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2005 16:26:35 -0400

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Leslie Tune, (202) 544-2350, ext. 11

Religious Organizations Oppose Weakened Endangered Species Act;
Letter Tells Congress: 'Extinction Is Not Stewardship'

Washington, D.C., September 30, 2005--The National Council of Churches USA
(NCC) strongly opposes Congress' action yesterday which overhauled and
weakened the Endangered Species Act (HR 3824). Prior to the vote, NCC joined
with eight other Christian organizations, including several of its member
denominations, to ask the U.S. House of Representatives to reject the
proposed changes and continue full protection of endangered species because,
as the letter states, "extinction is not stewardship."

"As a religious community interested in protecting all of God's creation,
including the seemingly most insignificant creatures, we oppose any piece of
legislation that diminishes protection for species that are already in danger
of becoming extinct," said Cassandra Carmichael, NCC's Director of
Eco-Justice Programs.

In a letter sent Wednesday afternoon to the House of Representatives, the
nine groups including representatives from the United Methodist Church, the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), the Episcopal Church, the
United Church of Christ and the Presbyterian Church (USA) spoke against the
bill because of the negative impact it would have on endangered species.
Faith representatives also participated in a briefing to Congress sponsored
by Rep. John Conyers, Jr. (D-Mich.).

The letter states "In Scripture, God expresses awe and pleasure with all of
God's creation, paying attention to even the seemingly least significant
creature. In the story of Noah's ark, God reveals the desire that all life be
preserved."

According to Matthew Anderson-Stembridge, director of environmental policy
for the ELCA, who presented at the Congressional briefing, "Our approach to
endangered species and to critical habitat should be guided by the principles
of love and mercy, principles embodied in the love God has for creation and
the love revealed through Christ," said. "That is why it is so unfortunate
that Congress passed this legislation. We will continue our work on behalf of
all of God's creation in spite of this setback."

Other religious organizations that signed onto the letter include the
Commission on Religion in Appalachia(Washington Office), Maryknoll Office of
Global Concerns and the Mennonite Central Committee.

# # #

EDITOR'S NOTE: The full text of the sign on letter sent to Congress is below.
For more information, contact Leslie Tune at (202) 544-2350.

Commission on Religion in Appalachia * Episcopal Church, Washington Office *
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, Washington Office * General Board of
Church and Society, United Methodist Church * Maryknoll Office of Global
Concerns * Mennonite Central Committee * National Council of Churches USA *
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) Washington Office * United Church of Christ,
Justice and Witness Ministries

September 28, 2005

House of Representatives
United States Congress
Washington, DC 20515

Dear Representative:

In Scripture, God expresses awe and pleasure with all of God's creation,
paying attention to even the seemingly least significant creature. In the
story of Noah's ark, God reveals the desire that all life be preserved. We,
as human members of God's family, are called to care for God's creation and
all of God's creatures.

In recent decades, one way to show this compassion and fulfill our
stewardship duty has been to implement the Endangered Species Act. The
Endangered Species Act has worked to prevent extinctions, stabilize declining
species, and bring some at-risk species to the point of recovery. Scientists
have estimated that nearly 200 more species would have gone extinct without
the Endangered Species Act and over 40 percent of the species protected by
the Endangered Species Act have stabilized or improved their populations.

Legislation championed by Resources Committee Chairman Richard Pombo (HR
3824) would effectively weaken the Endangered Species Act. We urge you to
oppose HR 3824 on the moral grounds that extinction is not stewardship and
that one of humanity's responsibilities is to care for all living things. We
disavow misleading economic interests that would drive us to sacrifice the
wonder, beauty, usefulness, and graciousness of the gifts God has given us
all. We firmly hold that we are called to live our lives to glorify God and
that development and profit at the expense of God's glory, of which the
environment and all the species are but part, is sinful.

We oppose bills that would weaken the Endangered Species Act. As people of
faith and as a society, let us ensure that species needing protection are put
on the Endangered Species list, that science is allowed to inform those
decisions, that the habitat of endangered species is safeguarded, and that
endangered species programs receive adequate funding.

As part of our commitment to God we must remember and honor God's covenant
with us all: "the sign of the covenant I make between me and you and every
living creature that is with you, for all future generations" (Genesis 9:12).

Sincerely,