From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: ABHS to Study Rochester, New England Site Options

From "SCHRAMM, Richard" <Rich.Schramm@abc-usa.org>
Date Tue, 4 Oct 2005 12:53:36 -0400

American Baptist News Service (Valley Forge, Pa. 10/04/05)--Last week
the American Baptist Historical Society's Board of Managers voted to
continue its deliberations on site consolidation until February 2006 and
to focus its study on options in Rochester, N.Y., and New England. The
vote came during the board's annual meeting Sept. 23-25 at Canonicus
Camp and Conference Center, Exeter, R.I.

"Like the Historical Society, many of our partners are in transition as
we seek the best way to fulfill our missions in the 21st century," said
board president the Rev. Esther Irish. "It's a time to explore exciting
possibilities and also a time to gather the myriad of details needed to
provide for due diligence. The board felt it was better to make a
decision based on the best information we could gather."

Last year the board voted to consolidate the two Historical Society
repositories at one site. For the past 20 years the Society has
maintained the Archives Center in Valley Forge, Pa., and the American
Baptist-Samuel Colgate Historical Library in Rochester, N.Y. Once a
decision is made on the location, a minimum of two years will be needed
to plan and begin consolidation of the Society's operations and
holdings.

The possibility of consolidation in the Philadelphia region was not
eliminated altogether, although the board vote recognized that
institutions in Rochester and in New England (especially Rhode Island)
have expressed the greatest interest in providing new kinds of financial
support for the American Baptist Historical Society. "We intend to
maintain our historical partnerships within the denomination," noted Dr.
Deborah Van Broekhoven, executive director, "but clearly these times
require that the Historical Society also find new partners to assist in
its mission of preserving and sharing the materials of Baptist history."

In another action the board approved a slate of nominees and officers
for the Board of Managers which will be presented for a vote at the
Society's meeting during the ABCUSA General Board meeting in November.
Incoming officers nominated to lead the Historical Society for the next
two years are the Rev. Dr. Trinette Vernell McCray, president; the Rev.
Dr. Wesley Roberts, vice-president; Carla Gay A. Romarate-Knipel,
secretary; and Melva Gray, treasurer. The board also nominated its first
two public managers, a new designation provided for in recent updates to
the Society's constitution, allowing the Society to tap leadership and
scholars from other Baptist groups.

"Since its beginning in 1853 the American Baptist Historical Society has
been chartered to preserve and share the records of all Baptist groups
in the United States. This has made ABHS a premiere collection, offering
the oldest, largest and most diverse collection of Baptist materials in
the world," said Van Broekhoven. "Having scholars and lovers of Baptist
history from other denominations on the board will enrich our
understanding and strengthen our networks with those whose records we've
been collecting for more than 150 years."

The board met at Canonicus by invitation of the American Baptist
Churches of Rhode Island (ABCORI). Their gift of hospitality was
recognized with a formal resolution and a thank you offering to ABCORI
equal to a tithe of what the Society saved on meeting costs. Said Melva
Gray, a board member from Indianapolis, "They provided everything--local
transportation, accommodations, meals, meeting space and office
support-in a gracious manner that nurtured our bodies and souls,
allowing the board to fulfill its mission to do the business of the
Society. It was an incredible gift of support for this ministry of
memory."

K/2005ABNS/05ABN109

American Baptist News Service: Office of Communication, American Baptist
Churches USA, P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851; (800)ABC-3USA
x2077 / (610)768-2077; fax: (610)768-2320; www.abc-usa.org;
richard.schramm@abc-usa.org