From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ACNS] Post-tsunami Programs of the Diocese of Colombo

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2005 14:35:02 -0700

ACNS 4039 | SOUTH ASIA | 30 SEPTEMBER 2005

>From Relief to Rehabilitation: A short account of the post-tsunami
programs of the Diocese of Colombo

Excerpts from the Report of the Standing Committee of the Diocese of
Colombo to the Diocesan Council 2005

Immediately following the tsunami, our clergy and congregations of the
Diocese of Colombo (DOC) provided relief and care to people throughout
the country and amongst all communities. Our response was to provide
food, water, clothing, medicine and tents, and to organize multi-ethnic,
multi-faith youth groups to join local youth groups in the affected
areas in cleanup operations. Rehabilitation work commenced in February
and the numbers of active projects continue to grow. Clergy in the
affected areas took on the added role of project directors identifying
needs in their communities and carrying out rehabilitation work. We are
indebted to the clergy for their unending efforts since December 26. To
aid our clergy, small-scale R&R desks have been functioning in all three
regions as well as in the Diocesan Office.

Resettlement of displaced families in permanent homes has been delayed
as a result of prevailing confusion over the establishment of the buffer
zone in coastal areas and the difficulties faced by the government in
identifying land to be allocated for new homes. The DOC, in consultation
with the District Secretary, is now prepared to embark on house repair
and construction programs. Housing repair will commence in Batticaloa
while housing construction will be undertaken in all regions. We are
planning to supply around 45 housing units to the tsunami affected areas
of the North, East and South choosing the poorest of the poor as
beneficiaries. A cluster of houses with common amenities in one block of
land and attention to the medical and social welfare of the
beneficiaries are envisaged. The College of General Practitioners of Sri
Lanka will join us in this venture. In the meantime, welcoming centers
have been established in a few tsunami camps to provide quiet space,
rest and relaxation areas for adults and children.

In providing support for the recovery of livelihood, the fisheries
sector, the worst affected by the tsunami received our support. Fishing
boats, nets and engines were provided. In order to overcome supply
constraints, a boat yard was built in Hambantota by a fisheries
cooperative assisted and financed by the DOC. This was replicated in
Valaichchenai with assistance from Hambantota. The DOC also financed
building of a boat yard in the North for the manufacture and repair of
boats which also serves as a training center in boat building and
repair.

Persons engaged in varied occupations are being supported to rebuild
their livelihood. Carpenters have been given router machines, sanders
and power drills while masons received mason spoons, shovels, plumb
lines. Similarly welders, mechanics, electrical workers received
equipment. Domestic self-employment needs have been addressed by the
provision of sewing machines and cooking utensils. Finance needed for
the recommencement of small-scale retail trade, salons, groceries,
bookshops, pharmacies too have been granted. The DOC has supplied large
numbers of bicycles as bicycles enable people such as fruit and
vegetable vendors to resume their work. Bicycles are also a major form
of transport.

Childcare support for 65 children is being provided by the Jaffna
Archdeaconry at KarunaNilayam (girls) and at the Pallai boys home as
they prepare for forthcoming examinations. Support for children in the
South is being provided through partner agencies. School kits have been
distributed in affected areas. A school-twinning program is in progress
whereby Diocesan schools have been connected with state schools to help
with relevant needs. The principal characteristic of this very
constructive program is the collaboration of students and staff on
curricular and extra-curricular support. Advocacy programs in the form
of community workshops on children's rights and human rights are being
carried out in all regions through the Diriya Foundation.

A series of trauma counselling training workshops were conducted from
March through May 2005 using the expertise of four professional
psychiatrists and psychologists from overseas. The DOC intends to join
the programmes of SEDEC of the Roman Catholic Church to train both laity
and clergy in counselling in a long term program so that each parish
will be equipped to address people with post traumatic stress disorder
and other mental illness problems.

We received a massive inflow of support, both in money and in kind, far
beyond our expectations. The Diocese of Colombo directed all funding
into a central fund so that funds could be distributed equally i.e
one-third each to the North, South and East. To date, we have received
Rs. 240million, of which Rs. 80million has been disbursed.
Rehabilitation projects are first proposed by affected-area
Archdeacon/Clergy, following which, the Project Evaluation Committee
reviews proposals before presenting them to the Diocesan Tsunami Task
Force (comprising clergy and lay members and, chaired by the Bishop) for
final funding approval. We are grateful to international visitors
including clergy on short term assignments from within the Anglican
Communion who offer labor, professional skills, parish support and
relieve overworked clergy in the coastal areas. We are also especially
thankful for the dozens of local volunteers and members of the community
who play an integral part in our entire operation.

In our plans for the months ahead, the major areas of involvement of the
DOC will be in housing, fisheries, child care support and trauma
counselling. We shall continue to collaborate closely with government
and non-governmental organizations as well as community leaders in our
endeavours. Following this next phase of rehabilitation, we will
continue to monitor the physical, mental, medical and educational needs
of the tsunami victims and supply support as needed. As we look towards
the future, we are hopeful of the prospect of rebuilding communities and
providing as many men, women, and children with a sense of dignity and
self-worth by making available the mechanisms to regain their own lives
and livelihoods.