From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Bishops Urged to Consider Gifts of Large Membership

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2005 11:08:01 -0500

Congregations
ELCA NEWS SERVICE

October 10, 2005

ELCA Bishops Urged to Consider Gifts of Large Membership Congregations
05-190-JB

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Large-membership congregations in the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) are "different"
from other congregations and can be a valuable resource to the
church at large. Most of the senior pastors of larger
congregations want to be a vital part of the ELCA and are
concerned about the future of the church.
Those were among several observations offered Oct. 2 to the
ELCA Conference of Bishops by the Rev. Mark A. Grorud, ELCA
director of relationships with large membership congregations.
Grorud came into the newly created churchwide staff position
earlier this year.
The Conference of Bishops is an advisory body of the church,
consisting of the ELCA's 65 synod bishops, presiding bishop and
secretary. It met here Sept. 29-Oct. 3.
Grorud said he is specifically called to work with
congregations that average 750 people or more in worship each
Sunday. There are 110 congregations that fit that profile in the
ELCA, he said. The ELCA has 10,657 congregations.
"I also define large congregations in context," Grorud said.
"Every synod has large congregations. It is a matter of context.
Unless every congregation in your synod is of the same size, you
have larger congregations. Because of that, I see my ministry as
a ministry to each synod and to the whole church, wherever I may
be of assistance to you in your synod and ministry."
Grorud said his work can be reduced to a two-word job
as helping to build stronger connections between congregations,
synods and the churchwide organization, Grorud told the
conference he also sees himself "as an advocate on behalf of
larger congregations to churchwide and to synods, as well as
being the church's advocate to congregations. In short, my
challenge and my calling are all about relationships."
In the past six months, Grorud said he has personally
visited 74 congregations and about half of the church's synod
bishops. In response Grorud said he has invited the senior
pastors and staffs of all 110 large-membership congregations to a
series of retreats in January and February. Eight regional
meetings are being planned, all aimed at building connections and
relationships, sharing ministry ideas and discussing specific
issues. ELCA seminary presidents are expected to attend many of
the events, he said.
Since starting in the role, Grorud said he has encouraged
others to understand that large-membership congregations aren't
necessarily better than others -- just different.
"They constitute an important segment of our church," Grorud
said. "We can learn from large congregations. They are not
perfect; they are not all great stewards. But many of them are,
and they have the potential to share ideas and great enthusiasm
with the church as whole," he said.
Grorud shared six observations about large-membership
congregations with the conference:
+ In general large congregations are more conservative than
others. They often feel more isolated and disconnected from the
wide church, but want to be more connected. These congregations
are a tremendous resource to the church, with innovations in
worship, education, outreach, social ministries and global
ministry among other subjects.
+ Senior pastors of large congregations want to feel as
though they are part of the ELCA, and they respect their bishops.
They respect the jobs bishops perform and understand many of the
difficulties a bishop faces.
+ Nearly all of the ELCA's large-membership congregations
are "relieved" with the decisions of the ELCA Churchwide Assembly
on sexuality recommendations it considered this past summer.
Many that showed their concerns by withholding mission support
funds have expressed a desire to get back on track with giving to
the larger church.
+ Large-membership congregations are concerned about future
leadership issues and transition issues.
+ Many large congregations want a stronger "accompaniment
model." They desire to be better connected to the larger church
and want support for their ministries.
+ Senior pastors of large-membership congregations are
concerned about the future of the ELCA and that its membership
has dropped below 5 million baptized members. They are concerned
the ELCA "must find a focus and a sense of vision."
Grorud offered some advice to the bishops when relating to
large membership congregations. He suggested that they remember
that large congregations are different than smaller
congregations; that they spend time with the senior pastors of
large congregations, including personal visits; that synods plan
regular gatherings of senior pastors of large congregations with
the bishop; that the bishops understand concerns larger
congregations have about leadership and transitions; and that the
bishops actively use the talents and abilities of leaders and
members of large membership congregations.
In a brief discussion following Grorud's presentation, the
Rev. Mark S. Hanson, ELCA presiding bishop, told the conference
that having a person in the churchwide organization working
directly with large membership congregations is significant.
"This is about deepening relationships," he said. "This is
something we need to be doing and Mark (Grorud) is the person to
do it."

For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/news