From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: American Baptists Respond to Asian Earthquake Victims

From "SCHRAMM, Richard" <Rich.Schramm@abc-usa.org>
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2005 08:59:09 -0400

American Baptist News Service (Valley Forge, Pa. 10/11/05)--Lisa
Rothenberger, American Baptist Churches USA World Relief officer,
reported today that her office already has begun to support relief
efforts in the wake of Saturday's devastating earthquake in Pakistan.

"It has been amazing to see how quickly our friends at Hungarian Baptist
Aid have been able to mobilize their rescue team," said Rothenberger.
"They are the lead team in the global response of the Baptist World
Alliance. Our partnership with Hungarian Baptists and our membership in
the Baptist World Alliance have made it possible for American Baptists
to contribute to the disaster relief effort within hours of getting the
news about this disaster."

Rothenberger added that she and the Rev. Ben Chan, International
Ministries' area director for the affected region, also are working
closely with Church World Service, whose Pakistan/Afghanistan office
began to get relief supplies to the hardest-hit areas the day after the
massive earthquake struck.

Rothenberger has made initial grants of $15,000 to the relief work,
using One Great Hour of Sharing funds. She and Chan will be following up
with Baptist World Aid, Church World Service and other ministry partners
as the full dimensions of the relief effort become clearer.

American Baptists wishing to support the Pakistan/Kashmir earthquake
relief effort can go through their church's monthly mission support
channel, designating contributions "OGHS-Pakistan Earthquake." For
online contributions go to the "Give Now" option available on either
www.abcusamissions.org or www.abc-usa.org.

05ABN114