From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Board of Pensions streamlines operations,

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2005 14:19:10 -0500

Note #8975 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

05559 Oct. 20, 2005

Board of Pensions streamlines operations

Reorganization intended to improve services, save money; also will
eliminate 22 jobs

by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE - The Board of Pensions (BOP) of the Presbyterian Church
(U.S.A.) has implemented a plan to consolidate member services,
centralize oversight of third-party providers, and provide for "succession
management" in key leadership positions.

"Stewardship - of people and financial resources - is so important,"
BOP President and CEO Rob Maggs told the Presbyterian News Service
(PNS) on Oct. 19. "It is critical to have strong management -
the right people doing the right jobs."

In his Oct. 13 weekly letter to board members and other church
leaders, Maggs acknowledged that financial pressures were a factor
in the reorganization. "We must keep our ...annualized increases
in budgets at about 3 percent or less," he said, adding that the
board's operating costs will show a year-to-year decline in 2006.

The changes also reduced the BOP staff of 200 by about 10 percent
by eliminating 10 vacant positions and laying off 12 employees.

"We're not immune to the financial and budget pressures affecting
everyone," Maggs said.

"When all is said and done, many of us will have greater
responsibility," he wrote in his recent letter. "Several people
will be promoted to bigger jobs."

Maggs said the reorganization resulted in nine promotions of existing
staff members.

In the new structure, member services for retirement and medical
plans will be consolidated under Senior Vice President Margaret
Mellen, who previously was responsible for only the medical plan.

A key element is oversight of third-party providers, another
responsibility given to Mellen. "We really needed to centralize
administration of our third-party providers," Maggs said. "That work
represents hundreds of millions of dollars. It's (the providers')
job, but it's our money, and we really have to be on top of it."

The BOP's service providers include Highmark (medical claims
administration), Intracorp (case management), Express Scripts
(prescription medications), CIGNA Behavioral Health (mental health
and substance abuse) and Fidelity (retirement savings).

All board operations will be consolidated under Vice President Kelly
Riley Brown, while member education and health promotion have been
moved to the Communications Team and Director Karen Babik.

Funds development has been assigned to the Rev. Peter Sime, vice
president for assistance and retirement housing, two focuses of
the BOP's current fund-raising efforts.

To subscribe or unsubscribe, please send an email
to pcusanews-subscribe-request@halak.pcusa.org or