From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCC Celebrates the Life and Legacy of Rosa Parks

From "NCC News" <pjenks@ncccusa.org>
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2005 14:17:50 -0400

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT: Leslie Tune, (202)544-2350 or
Phil Jenks, (212) 870-2252

National Council of Churches Celebrates the Life and Legacy of Rosa Parks

Washington, D.C., October 25, 2005--The National Council of Churches USA has
released the following statement about the passing of civil rights champion
Rosa Parks:

"It is with sadness and a deep sense of loss that we receive the news about
the death of Rosa Parks. She was a heroine in our midst--one who taught our
nation about courage and determination. She will truly be missed.

Rosa Parks, who was known as the "Mother of the Civil Rights Movement," was a
trailblazer and a pioneer. She was a powerful witness to all of us who
believe that one person can make a difference and she will forever be
remembered for her quiet resolve. Although her physical life has ended, her
work lives on even as we continue to fight for justice and equality in this
nation. We hope that America will one day fully honor her sacrifice by ending
poverty and racial disparities, having adequate and affordable housing and
health care, and making sure that workers are paid a living wage for their
labor.

We will forever be grateful for the gift of her life and the legacy she
leaves us all to hold fast to our beliefs.?

###