From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UCC, DISCIPLES CONDEMN ATTACKS ON ISRAEL

From guessb@ucc.org
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2005 14:28:22 -0400

United Church of Christ
United Church News
The Rev. J. Bennett Guess, news director

For immediate release
October 28, 2005

UCC, DISCIPLES LEADERS 'ROUNDLY CONDEMN' IRANIAN PRESIDENT'S VERBAL ASSAULT
ON ISRAEL, DEADLY PALESTINIAN ATTACK

In a joint statement issued on Oct. 27, leaders of the United Church of
Christ and the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) have condemned two
violent attacks against Israel and its citizens.

The Rev. John H. Thomas, the UCC's general minister and president, along
with the Rev. Sharon Watkins, who holds the same office in the Christian
Church (Disciples of Christ), issued strong words of rebuke after Iranian
President Mahmud Ahmadinejad, quoted the late Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini,
saying that Israel "must be wiped off the map." Later in the day, a
Palestinian suicide bomber claimed the lives of five Israeli citizens in
Hadera, in central Israel.

The statement also was signed by the Rev. Cally Rogers-Witte and the Rev.
David Vargas, co-executives of the UCC/Disciples' Common Global Ministries
Board, as well as the UCC/Disciples' area executive for the Middle East and
Europe, Peter E. Makari.

"The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and United Church of Christ
roundly condemn both instances of violence," the church leaders said. "Such
violent rhetoric and violent action incite violent reactions, adding
momentum to an already senseless spiral. These attacks are in direct
contradiction to our two churches' clear positions affirming Israel's right
to exist securely next to a viable Palestinian state, and opposing violence
in all its manifestations."

Joining with the UCC/Disciples' ecumenical partner in Palestine, the
UCC/Disciples executives affirmed the "moral reprehensibility of suicide
bombing" and called President Ahmadinejad's remarks "hateful," "violent"
and "never acceptable in political discourse."

The church leaders also proclaimed the two churches' commitment to
"overcoming violence everywhere" and claimed a "conviction that justice in
this world must be attained through peaceful means."

"In proclaiming a message of peace, we are again moved by the violence
in
the troubled Middle East to state the urgency of reaching a comprehensive
resolution of the Arab-Israeli-Palestinian conflict," they said.
"Dedication to Israel's security within recognized borders goes hand in
hand with an end to Israeli occupation of Palestinian land."

The statement strongly encouraged the U.S. Administration "to seek a fair
and durable solution" to the Middle East conflict. "It is in the best
interests of Israelis and Palestinians, as well as the U.S., and of Jews,
Christians, and Muslims the world over," the statement read.

The full statement follows:

Thursday, Oct. 27 ? On Oct. 26, two violent attacks were launched against
Israel and its citizens. In a speech, the president of Iran, Mahmud
Ahmadinejad, quoted the late Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini stating that
Israel "must be wiped off the map." Later in the day, a Palestinian
suicide bomber claimed the lives of five Israeli citizens in Hadera, in
central Israel.

The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and United Church of Christ
roundly condemn both instances of violence. Such violent rhetoric and
violent action incite violent reactions, adding momentum to an already
senseless spiral. These attacks are in direct contradiction to our two
churches' clear positions affirming Israel's right to exist securely next
to a viable Palestinian state, and opposing violence in all its
manifestations. With our partner the Sabeel Ecumenical Liberation Theology
Center, we assert the moral reprehensibility of suicide bombing. The
hateful and violent intent of President Ahmadinejad's remarks are never
acceptable in political discourse.

In condemning this violence against Israel, we are faithful to our firm
commitment to overcome violence everywhere, and to our conviction that
justice in this world must be attained through peaceful means. In
proclaiming a message of peace, we are again moved by the violence in the
troubled Middle East to state the urgency of reaching a comprehensive
resolution of the Arab-Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Dedication to
Israel's security within recognized borders goes hand in hand with an end
to Israeli occupation of Palestinian land. We strongly encourage the US
Administration to engage actively and fully with all its partners,
including Israelis and Palestinians, to seek a fair and durable solution to
this conflict. It is in the best interests of Israelis and Palestinians,
as well as the US, and of Jews, Christians, and Muslims the world over.
We are painfully aware that force or the threat of force are too-common
realities in the Middle East?the most militarized region in the world.
We
are intimately aware that the US?the most militarized country in the
world?has demonstrated its willingness to use force in pursuing its
interests and perceived threats to them. It is our prayer that all would
reject the inclination to resort to force rather than seek policies of
engagement and reconciliation to resolve differences.. Palestinians and
Israelis have suffered at each other's hands for too long for the status
quo of occupation and terror to continue. Lessons of Iraq teach us that
American military might cannot force peace and security, and therefore
we
would urge the US to resist the temptation to use this occasion to elevate
its threats or advance proposals for US intervention in Iran or elsewhere
in the Middle East.

We pray that leaders and people no longer choose the actions or rhetoric of
violence; that violence may not beget violence; and that the urgency for
peace and justice be recognized, so that violence will have no place.

The Rev. John H. Thomas
General Minister and President
United Church of Christ

The Rev. Dr. Sharon Watkins
General Minister and President
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)

The Rev. David Vargas
President, Disciples' Division of Overseas Ministries
Co-Executive, Common Global Ministries Board

The Rev. Cally Rogers-Witte
Executive Minister, Wider Church Ministries, UCC
Co-Executive, Common Global Ministries Board

Peter E. Makari
Executive, Middle East and Europe
Common Global Ministries Board

http://news.ucc.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=368&Itemid=54