From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS Silver Jubilee for Europe Diocese

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2005 17:24:54 -0700

ACNS 4056 | EUROPE | 25 OCTOBER 2005

Silver Jubilee for Europe diocese

Photographs for this article are available here:
http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/articles/40/50/acns4056.cfm

With a fanfare by the brass ensemble of the Gibraltar Royal Regimental
Band, the festive Eucharist to mark the 25 years of the new Church of
England Diocese in Europe, began, with a full cathedral gathered to mark
the occasion. In 1980 the Sees of Fulham (London) and Gibraltar, were
combined to become the Diocese of Gibraltar in Europe. The service also
marked the 100th anniversary of the establishing the Deanery at
Gibraltar by Bishop William Collins in 1905.

The Rt Revd Geoffrey Rowell, bishop of the diocese, presided at the
concelebrated liturgy 23 October, along with the Bishop Suffragan, the
Rt Revd David Hamid, the Dean of the Cathedral, the Very Revd Alan
Woods, and the Archdeacons of the widely scattered diocese. His
Excellency Sir Francis Richards, Governor, attended the services as did
the Chief Minister of the Government, Peter Caruana. Roman Catholic,
Methodist and Presbyterian representatives attended along with the
regular congregation and many guests. Bishop Ambrose Weekes was also
present and at least three former deans. The choir rendered superb
music that included traditional chant, an anthem by Mozart and descants
to the hosts of hymns.

A high point in the service was the procession by the Sunday School
children of a model of the uniquely designed cathedral and a rainbow
coloured poster with the flags of the many countries that comprise the
Diocese in Europe. Following Communion, young dancers of the Danza
Academy, in bright red and white clothing, offered a prayer in a
liturgical dance format to music by Faure, bringing the service to a
joyful ending.

In his sermon at the mass, Bishop David Hamid, stressed the need for the
churches of the diocese to be places where people can have "a living
encounter", as people today are "craving" mystery, tradition and
spirituality. He gave an historical looking back at 25 years and all
that has transpired in the world. The bishop said that the diocese was
"on the move" and that things that are "potentially great" can be
accomplished if we keep to our commitment of "building up the kingdom of
light". He spoke of the appeal of the "distinctive flavour of
Anglicanism" and called upon the churches to live out Anglicanism with
"conviction and joy". He added, "our heritage will equip us for our
every task."

In an introduction to the order of service, Bishop Rowell states,
"Dispersed across a continent the Diocese in Europe too is called as
part of God's pilgrim church to this mission in Christ. After centuries
of gradual growth, a single diocese under one bishop was created in
1980. Since then our continent has seen the end of totalitarian
oppression and the creation of a peaceful union of peoples, and the
churches have been animated with an ecumenical spirit in response to our
Lord's command that we should be one in life and mission so the world
may believe. The peoples of Europe still desire the word of truth and
long for the gospel of hope and salvation."

Churches of the diocese will mark the Silver Jubilee on this coming
Sunday.

Article by: Jim Rosenthal who is a canon of the cathedral in Gibraltar,
Diocese in Europe)