From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Presiding Bishop's Statement on the Life of Rosa Parks

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Sat, 29 Oct 2005 12:25:23 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

October 29, 2005

ELCA Presiding Bishop's Statement on the Life of Rosa Parks

It is with a sense of great sadness that we acknowledge the
passing of Rosa Parks, a courageous woman whose resolve focused
our nation's attention on civil rights. It is my hope and prayer
that as we remember Rosa Parks' life, her legacy might provide
an occasion for us to renew our commitment to building a society
that reflects the richness of racial and ethnic diversity, and
the rejection of racism. Such resolve will require bold acts of
conscience such as those Rosa Parks made on a Montgomery bus.

We as the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America have made a
clear public declaration that we seek to become an intentionally
anti-racist and multicultural church. As people of faith we must
also work to ensure all people have access to fair wages,
affordable housing and quality health care. May the Holy Spirit
give us power that we might continue to confront the painful
reality of divisions while bearing witness to unity and diversity
as God's gifts. Thanks be to God for the life of Rosa Parks.

The Rev. Mark S. Hanson
Presiding Bishop, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
President, Lutheran World Federation

For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/news