From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[UMNS-ALL-NEWS] UMNS# 613-Indiana church raises Katrina funds by

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Mon, 31 Oct 2005 16:57:50 -0600

Indiana church raises Katrina funds by selling building on eBay

Oct. 31, 2005

NOTE: Photographs are available at http://umns.umc.org.

A UMNS Report
By Linda Bloom*

When members of the United Methodist Church in Redkey, Ind., decided to
sell an old church building on eBay, they were looking for more than a
quick profit.

The $40,600 winning bid - which came Oct. 27 - will be used for
Hurricane Katrina relief efforts through the United Methodist Committee
on Relief.

The Rev. Randy Davis said the congregation was elated by the opportunity
to contribute a sum that it could never have raised under normal
circumstances. "It was so much fun just watching the auction take
place," he added.

Previously the home of North Madison United Methodist Church, the
7,000-square-foot building became vacant in fall 2004 after the North
Madison congregation merged with a group of members from Main Street
United Methodist Church. The new Redkey congregation has about 90
members.

"With two buildings, we had to decide which one we would use," Davis
said. The Main Street facility was larger and had more parking.

Located about 50 miles south of Fort Wayne, the North Madison church was
constructed in 1900 by the United Brethren, a predecessor denomination.
It was rebuilt after an early fire and has 29 leaded, stained-glass
windows, along with the original bell still hanging in the belfry.

The idea of selling the empty church on eBay first surfaced as a joke,
but after someone who had expressed interest in the building declined to
buy, the eBay option came under serious discussion.

Church members were in constant contact with United Methodist officials
to make sure they observed proper denominational procedures in selling
the building. Bishop Michael Coyner of the Indiana Area wrote a letter
of support.

On Oct. 17, the building was listed on eBay with a $1 reserve. "The $1
reserve meant that $2 could buy this place," Davis explained. "We had
the faith to believe that it would go for considerably more than that."

What the congregation didn't know was how popular the listing would
become. According to Davis, it was one of the top 10 items viewed on the
well-known Internet auction site.

He estimates that the North Madison building would have sold for $5,000
to $15,000 if a local auction had been conducted. Using eBay offered a
much broader base of interested visitors. "The building is worth every
dime of the $40,000," he said. "It's worth more than that."

The winning bid came from Douglas Fleck, a financial consultant and
yacht broker in Stuart, Fla. After weathering three hurricanes in the
last 14 months, Fleck said he wants to make the building a summer home.
"I liked the idea of the money going for hurricane victims," he added.

All of the proceeds will be sent to UMCOR, Davis said. "We will cover
all closing costs," the pastor said. "Every dime of that will make its
way to Katrina relief."

*Bloom is a United Methodist News Service news writer based in New York.

News media contact: Linda Bloom, New York, (646) 369-3759 or
newsdesk@umcom.org.