From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Seminary presidents endorse report of theological task

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ECUNET.ORG>
Date Tue, 1 Nov 2005 15:38:17 -0600

Note #9003 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

05592
Nov. 1, 2005

Seminary presidents endorse
report of theological task force

'An extraordinary task, accomplished in
an extraordinary way, at an extraordinary time'

by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE - The presidents of the 12 seminaries related to the Presbyterian
Church (U.S.A.) have issued a statement endorsing the report of the
Theological Task Force on Peace, Unity and Purity of the Church (TTF).

The presidents - who represent the 10 denominational seminaries plus
two that are in covenant relationship with the PC(USA) - said they hope the
upcoming 217th General Assembly, governing bodies and individual
Presbyterians "will receive the report favorably."

Louis B. Weeks, president of Union Theological Seminary-Presbyterian
School of Christian Education in Richmond, VA, speaking for the group, told
the Presbyterian News Service that he believes this is the first time the
seminary presidents have spoken unanimously on an issue not directly related
to theological education.

"But this is an extraordinary task, accomplished in an extraordinary
way, at an extraordinary time," Weeks said.

The TTF was created by the 2001 General Assembly and directed "to
lead the PC(USA) in spiritual discernment of our Christian identity in and
for the 21st century." It was instructed specifically to address issues of
Christology, Biblical authority and interpretation, ordination standards and
power. Its final report will be presented to next year's Assembly in
Birmingham, AL.

One seminary president, Barbara Wheeler of Auburn Theological
Seminary in New York City - which is in covenant with the PC(USA) - is a TTF
member.

In addition to Wheeler and Weeks, the presidents signing the
statement were: Theodore J. Wardlaw of Austin Presbyterian Theological
Seminary; Laura S. Mendenhall of Columbia Theological Seminary; David L.
Wallace Sr. of Johnson C. Smith Theological Seminary; Dean K. Thompson of
Louisville Presbyterian Theological Seminary; Cynthia M. Campbell of
McCormick Theological Seminary; C. Samuel Calian of Pittsburgh Theological
Seminary; Iain R.Torrance of Princeton Theological Seminary; Philip W. Butin
of San Francisco Theological Seminary; Jeffrey F. Bullock of the University
of Dubuque Theological Seminary; and Sergio Ojeda-Carcamo of Evangelical
Seminary of Puerto Rico, which, like Auburn, is in covenant with the PC(USA).

The full text of the Nov. 1 statement, addressed to "Officers and
Members of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)":

We have read the report of the Theological Task Force on Peace, Unity
and Purity of the Church, and we together express our collective hope that
the 217th General Assembly, the governing bodies, and individual members of
the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) will receive the report favorably.

We serve institutions charged with preparing and sustaining leaders
for the future of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), and we consider the
report of the Task Force a positive contribution toward a constructive and
faithful future for this portion of the church universal.

We deeply appreciate the time, creative work, and wisdom provided by
the members of the Task Force, and we express to each and every one of them
our heartfelt thanks for a job well done.