From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: Thorne Called as Associate General Secretary for Mission

From "CHANDLER, David" <David.Chandler@abc-usa.org>
Date Wed, 2 Nov 2005 14:01:22 -0500

Resource Development

American Baptist News Service (Valley Forge, Pa., 11/1/2005)--Rev. Dr.
Leo Thorne, Senior Pastor of First Baptist Church, Kansas City, MO, has
been called to serve as the Associate General Secretary for Mission
Resource Development of the American Baptist Churches USA.

In this position, Dr. Thorne will oversee the efforts for communicating
the overall vision and mission story of American Baptist Churches,
developing stewardship and tithing resources for local congregations,
and assisting the denomination's program boards and regions in raising
mission support. In his role, he will provide training and support for
the regional network of ministers of mission support in stewardship
development and fundraising.

Dr. Thorne brings to his position the wealth of pastoral experience in
one of the denomination's strongest mission giving congregations. "One
of the qualities we were looking for in this call," stated Roy Medley,
general secretary of American Baptist Churches USA, "was someone who was
effective at the congregational level in mission support. Dr. Thorne
brings with him the perspective of a pastor who has seen both the
strengths and weaknesses of our approaches and materials and has a keen
interest in sharpening our efforts in communication and fundraising so
that they are congregationally-friendly and effective."

"I am energized and hopeful by the new day I see dawning at ABCUSA," was
Thorne's response to the call. "I look forward to being part of a
wonderful history and future of a Christ-centered denomination that is
having a meaningful, Spirit-driven impact on our world. It will be my
delight to join a terrific team of gifted persons working with a
dedicated servant-leader, General Secretary Rev. Dr. A. Roy Medley. I
embrace fully the enormous potential embedded in combining
communications and stewardship in this new position. It feels good and
spiritually refreshing to be exactly here in my life and ministry at the
moment."

Prior to his service at First Baptist Church, Kansas City, MO, Thorne
served the Ramapo Valley Baptist Church in Oakland, NJ. This
multi-cultural congregation grew substantially under his leadership and
soon after his coming as pastor helped initiate the first Martin Luther
King Day celebration in the township. In addition, while pastoring the
congregation, he continued to serve as an administrator and professor at
Farleigh-Dickinson University in Teaneck, NJ where he completed more
than 30 years of service. In these and other settings, Dr. Thorne honed
his skills in working with people from a wide variety of backgrounds,
cultures, and ethnicities .

His experience and interests are wide-ranging, including serving for
more than a decade as the radio host of a poetry broadcast, "The Poet's
Corner," and participation on the editorial board of the Faith and
Values section of a leading New Jersey newspaper. In addition, Thorne
has been active in regional and national life in the ABC, as well as
participating in the Baptist World Alliance.

A native of the Caribbean, and a pastor''s son, Dr. Thorne is married to
Yvonne Martinez Thorne, a counseling psychologist.

"I am so delighted in Leo's call." stated Rev. Medley. "I have had the
pleasure of working with him and Yvonne for many years. They are
wonderful, loving followers of Christ. I know Leo to be an excellent
communicator and effective administrator. I look forward to serving
with him."

The Rev. Dr. Robert Roberts who has been serving as interim in this
position will continue through June as a special consultant to the
General Secretary with a primary focus on stewardship resources.

Dr. Thorne will begin his new position in January, 2006.

For more complete biographical information, visit
http://www.abc-usa.org/news/thornebio.htm.

American Baptist News Service: Office of Communication, American Baptist
Churches USA, P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851; (800)ABC-3USA
x2077 / (610)768-2077; fax: (610)768-2320; www.abc-usa.org;
richard.schramm@abc-usa.org