From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ARCHBISHOP DEMETRIOS CONDEMNS HOSTILE DEMONSTRATIONS AGAINST

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2005 13:49:04 -0800

GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA
8-10 East 79th St. New York, NY 10021
Tel: (212) 570-3530 Fax: (212) 774-0215
Web: http://www.goarch.org
Email: communications@goarch.org

For Immediate Release
October 31, 2005

Contact: Nikki Stephanopoulos
Tel.: 212.570.3530

ARCHBISHOP DEMETRIOS CONDEMNS HOSTILE DEMONSTRATIONS
AGAINST OUR ECUMENICAL PATRIARCHATE

NEW YORK - Archbishop Demetrios of America has expressed his deepest sorrow
and his strong and unequivocal condemnation for the most recent hostile
demonstrations and threats against the holy center of world Orthodoxy, the
Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, in Istanbul, Turkey.

This latest assault took place last Thursday, October 28, when groups of
Turkish nationalists and other extreme elements demonstrated in Phanar
against the Ecumenical Patriarchate chanting slogans such as â??one night
weâ??ll come to the Phanar,â?? â??go away Patriarch,â?? â??Patriarch
donâ??t test our
patience,â?? â??take the Patriarchate and go to Greece,â?? and the like. Before
police intervened, the angry demonstrators reached the entrance to the
Patriarchal compound, and placed a black wreath in front of the gate.

Archbishop Demetrios in his statement of condemnation said, "I express my
deepest sorrow for the events that transpired outside of our Ecumenical
Patriarchate last Thursday. The actions of these Turkish
extremists-nationalists are appalling and condemnable in and by any
civilized country. These are actions against a holy institution which
survived and lives on through the centuries. It's an institution highly
respected by the entire civilized world. These demonstrators are short
changing themselves and Turkey, as they paint a picture of uncivilized,
petty, narrow-minded people."

â??As a Church and as Orthodox in America, we are in spirit and in prayer by
the side of our Ecumenical Patriarchate, and we stand in full support with
love and care towards our Mother Church as we are reassured that He Who has
many times saved this Patriarchate and has protected it in difficult times
will once again be next to our Ecumenical Patriarch and the Fathers of the
Great Church of Christ and He will lead this crisis to a favorable result
according to the teachings of our Lord, that God, â??will not break a bruised
reed, and smoking flax He will not quench, till He sends forth justice to
victoryâ?? (Matt. 12:20).â??