From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[UMNS-ALL-NEWS] UMNS# 620-Church "wrestles" for hurricane relief

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Thu, 3 Nov 2005 16:33:16 -0600

Church "wrestles" for hurricane relief

Nov. 3, 2005 News media contact: * ( ) * {620}

NOTE: A UMTV report and photographs are available at
http://umns.umc.org.

A UMNS Feature
By Lindsay Ferrier *

At Main Street United Methodist Church in Kokomo, Ind., the fellowship
hall generally is used for Bible studies or potluck dinners. But on this
night, a professional wrestling match is in full swing, complete with
grudge matches, championship titles and church members shouting from the
sidelines.

"I think it's unusual seeing this in our church," said Laynie Aerosmith,
church member, after a match. "I find it very cool."

The unusual event is the brainchild of wrestling promoter Rob DeMarco
and the Rev. Kerry O'Brien, the associate pastor of Main Street United
Methodist Church. Both men wanted to raise money for victims of
Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, but they knew it would take an original
idea to convince the locals to show up for yet another hurricane
fundraiser. They joined forces to create Wrestle-Aid on Oct. 22.

For DeMarco, watching the news coverage of the hurricanes prompted a
strong reaction.

"It brought a tear to my eye every time I'd see it, he said. "So I am
asking 'What can I do?' Well, why not hold a wrestling event?"

O'Brien knew the combination of church and wrestling would attract a
wide array of people, from devout members eager to support their church,
to wrestling fans eager to support their muscle-bound heroes. More than
100 people from the blue-collar, working class town attended the
wrestling event and more than $500 was raised for the United Methodist
Committee on Relief.

"Its different enough that people say I'm curious," O'Brien explained.
"Maybe we get the people who say, 'I like wrestling, but I normally
wouldn't go,' So I think it does attract people that it may not have in
the past." The hurricane relief event was the fourth wrestling event
held at the church.

Inside the ring, there was plenty of improvised action, from body slams
to shouting matches. The wrestlers stayed in character both on and off
the mat.

"I'll beat up people anywhere they want!" a wrestler known as
"Mercenary" deadpanned. "Church, Ladies Aid..."

Despite its raucous nature, O'Brien made sure the entertainment would
meet church members' approval. "Its something you can bring your kids
too," he said. "The promoter has a rule that if you can't say it or do
it in front of your grandma or your two-year-old, don't do it here."

O'Brien realizes some may see this fundraiser as an unorthodox way for a
church to raise money. But he maintains the wrestling is all about
having fun.

"I hope we will get some chuckles and some, 'Hey, this is a unique way
to do that but; right on!'" he said.

Church member Linda Manuel gave the match her seal of approval while
cheering from the sidelines.

"I think its just wonderful that you can go out and have a good time and
get into this," Manuel laughed. "I think it's a good experience."

Some wrestlers left the ring in mock dejection, while others hoisted
newly-earned championship belts.

O'Brien used images to remind the crowd, "We all wrestle with different
things. Sometimes we win, sometimes we fail. We don't have all the
answers. But we know who does. Jesus Christ. And maybe some of you will
take that home."

All proceeds from Wrestle Aid went to the United Methodist Committee on
Relief, known around the world as a top disaster relief agency. The
headline wrestler donated his fee to UMCOR and other wrestlers followed
suit, either donating all or part of their fees, O'Brien said.

Donations to assist with clean-up and recovery after the hurricanes can
be made to UMCOR Advance #982523, "Hurricanes 2005." Checks can be
placed in local church offering plates or mailed directly to UMCOR at
P.O. Box 9068, New York, NY 10087-9068. Credit card donations can be
made by calling (800) 554-8583.

*Lindsay Ferrier is a freelance writer in Nashville, Tenn.

News media contact: Fran Coode Walsh, Nashville, Tenn., (615) 742-5458
or newsdesk@umcom.org.