From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Iranian President's comments on Israel 'abhorrent,

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Fri, 4 Nov 2005 08:35:39 -0500

Daybook, from Episcopal News Service

November 4, 2005 -- Friday Forum

Iranian President's comments on Israel 'abhorrent,' Griswold says

[ENS] Presiding Bishop Frank Griswold has responded 'with great sadness'
to Iranian President Mahmud Ahmadinejad's comments at an October 26
conference titled "The World Without Zionism," during which he called
Israel a "disgraceful blot" that should be "wiped off the map" and warned
leaders of Muslim nations who might recognize the state of Israel that
they faced "the wrath of their own people."

The full text of Griswold's statement follows:

While traveling in Asia, I read with great sadness the statements of
the president of Iran, Mahmud Ahmadinejad, that Israel "should be wiped
off the map" and "anybody who recognizes Israel will burn in the fire of
the Islam nation's fury." The purpose of such rhetoric is to bring pain
and suffering to Jews and to undermine efforts for peace in the Middle
East. The Episcopal Church has long supported the State of Israel as well
as the establishment of a Palestinian State. Much pain and suffering,
and many lives have been lost, in the effort to make that vision a
reality. There should be no place in our world for words that incite
violence. They are particularly painful when they come at a time of hope
ever so fragile. This language from the President of Iran is especially
abhorrent to those who seek a world reconciled, not divided. I pray that
it will not be repeated.

-- To SUBSCRIBE to enslist, send a blank email message, from the address
which you wish subscribed, to: join-enslist@epicom.org

The enslist is published by Episcopal News Service:
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens