From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Church Finance Council Moves to Increase Efficiency

From "Wilma Shuffitt" <wshuffitt@cm.disciples.org>
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2005 17:19:22 -0500

Title:Church Finance Council Moves to Increase Efficiency
Date: Nov. 4, 2005
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Phone: 317-713-2492
E-mail: news@cm.disciples.org
on the Web: http://www.disciples.org

(INDIANAPOLIS, -- Nov. 4, 2005) The Board of The Church Finance Council
(CFC) of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), during its annual
fall meeting, approved recommendations and actions designed to result in
significant cost savings, and more efficient performance of its ministry.

The Board approved a recommendation to initiate a whole-church discussion
regarding a partnership with CFC and Church Extension (CE), to begin
progress to a common receipt and distribution Treasury system for the two
units of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). Also, the board
reviewed plans for reduced space needs.

According to Renee Bridwell, convener of the CFC Board Visioning Team, the
Board's actions are faithful to the mission of CFC. The Board agreed the
mission and vision of the church will continue faithful stewardship--
especially in carrying out administrative functions at reduced cost. Full
authority, accountability and fiduciary responsibility remain with the CFC
and its Board of Directors.

Gary Kidwell, president of the Christian Church Foundation, and member of
the CFC Board states, "It is important for the wider church to understand
that our recommendation of this partnership with CE does not make a
decision for the church. We fully recognize that such structural changes
require input and consultation from the wider church. This limited move
is designed to show one way in which efficiency can be found."

Church Extension president Jim Powell added, "We welcome this chance to
work with CFC in a limited capacity, while we all explore ways our
organizations fit, and seek further opportunities for cooperation and
ministry."

CFC Board Chair Maureen Dickmann agrees, "We recognize, at the appropriate
times there must be consultations with mission partners, the Administrative Committee, the Standing Committee on Renewal and Structural Reform, and
the General Board to allow the church to give its blessing to this
direction for the church's ministry of money."

CFC also has an opportunity to relocate its offices within the Disciples
Center in Indianapolis. This relocation will provide savings on underutilized space, and the associated costs of parking, telephone, mail handling,
etc. CFC plans to relocate Treasury Services offices to the ninth floor,
and move other offices to occupy vacant space that is now assigned to the
Office of General Minister and President (OGMP). These moves will result
in cost savings for both CFC and OGMP. Based on this physical relocation,
and savings from changes in Church Wide Health Care, CFC anticipates cost
reductions in 2006 of approximately $105,000.

Both CFC and CE are general units of the Christian Church (Disciples of
Christ), and have primary offices in Indianapolis, Indiana.

####
Contact:
Lois Artis, President
Church Finance Council