From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS Digest Stores 11 November 2005

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2005 11:22:55 -0800

The following is a roundup of the recent ACNS Digest stories, with
reports from England, Ireland, Canada, Uganda and ACO. The ACNS Digest
can be found here:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/digest/index.cfm

(492) 11-November-2005 - Extracts from Address by Archbishop Eames -
Ireland

Archbishop Robin Eames addressed the Friends of the Salvation Army N.I.
in Hillsborough Castle, Co Down.

A Call for Debate on our Future

"The Salvation Army is often the cutting-edge of society's social
conscience. Its consistent, organised and transparent work takes it to
places and in ways the institutionalised social conscience fails to
reach. Its work for the most vulnerable of our society is the true
embodiment of the Christian response for 'the cup of cold water' for the
thirsty respectable society often passes on the other side of the road.
While most publicity attaches to their work at time of community crisis
such as bombings in London, our own troubles here and the provision of
practical assistance through the likes of soup and tea kitchens to those
caught up in the aftermath of disasters, insufficient attention is given
to the on-going community work for the young, the elderly and the
unwanted.

In a consumer-orientated society there is a great danger that the gulf
between the haves and the have-nots will widen and in ways that are
subtle and not always recognised. On one side we have an Ireland which
indicates economic growth and a growing number of the rich. On the
other increasing numbers are becoming captives of the poverty trap and
not always of their own making. I am increasingly concerned about the
forgotten of our society - children being captured in poverty. I do
not believe Irish society is as aware of this statistic as it ought to
be. Next month I hope to emphasise this fact in a Forum on Child
Poverty to which we will welcome among the contributions that of the
Salvation Army. It is here, among those who face the hopelessness of
poverty, real poverty, that the social witness of the Salvation Army
means so much.

But there is a wider issue for which the Salvation Army social work
cries out to be recognised. There is now in Northern Ireland an urgent
need to debate fundamental questions about the sort of society we are
creating for the future - and the sort of society we should be creating.

The society of paramilitary violence is changing, the political scene is
changing, the economic picture may need new confidence, but it too is
changing. But what standards, what principles, what practices do we
want for the most important picture of all - the nature of life for all
ages, all outlooks, all hopes and all fears, for the Northern Ireland of
the future?

This is a debate whose time has come ...

It is not a debate dependant on political aspirations. It is not a
debate dependant on the views of one section of society rather than
another. It is about rights and obligations, about level playing
fields of equality, it is about self-esteem and it is about how we value
the individual. The real worth of the individual has been a major
casualty of our troubled past. Life has become so cheap. Too many
feel marginalised even alienated from the privileges they see others
enjoying. There is deep anger and resentment among those who feel
society has let them down.

Northern Ireland is a society of contradictions. Those contradictions
pose their own questions about the sort of society we need to build.
On the one hand we are generous and compassionate in our response to
appeals. On the other we are a violent society where life is so cheap.
On the one hand there are many so comfortably off - on the other in
working-class areas there is so much evidence of economic and cultural
alienation.

Christianity through the Churches must engage and encourage this debate.
The work of the Salvation Army must touch our consciences and ask its
own questions.

But that debate must begin - and begin in earnest.

What sort of society do we want for our children and grand-children?

The question cannot be left to legislation, to politics alone, to
economists alone - it must concern us all if we are to build the truly
just and compassionate society in our hearts we want."

http://www.aco.org/acns/digest/index.cfm?years=2005&months=11&article=49
2&pos=#492

(491) 09-November-2005 - Bishop pleads with agencies to resume
operations - Uganda

Northern Uganda Anglican Bishop Nelson Onono-Onweng has appealed to aid
agencies to resume the services they suspended after the killing of two
humanitarian workers by the Lords Resistance Army (LRA), a brutal rebel
movement.

"We understand the position of the agencies," Onono-Onweng told
Ecumenical News International from Gulu following the killing of the two
workers on October 27. "To lose a person is a painful experience, but we
want to appeal to them to resume their operations," he said, citing the
severe impact on local people that the departure of the aid agencies
would have.

Onono-Onweng said he would be talking to the agencies to try to persuade
them to resume their services and he would also try to encourage the
authorities to step-up security. "I also urge the people to be more
careful and obey the warnings of the security teams," he said.

Agencies such as Oxfam, Medecins Sans Frontieres (Netherlands) and
Christian Children's Fund (CCF) suspended their operations in northern
Uganda after workers from the Roman Catholic NGO, Caritas, and the
Agency for Cooperation and Research in Development were killed in two
different towns in northern Uganda.

On October 26, two workers from the Christian Children's Fund had been
wounded in another attack in Lira, while providing health assistance to
local residents.

"It is tragic when aid workers, who give of themselves to help others in
need, are injured, kidnapped or even killed. We hope governments around
the world will take action to stop these kinds of tragedies," noted CCF
President John F. Schultz on the agency's Web site.

Jan Egeland, the U.N. emergency relief coordinator, condemned the
attacks saying: "The people of northern Uganda are heavily dependent on
humanitarian aid and access to them is already precarious. These attacks
threaten the provision of life-saving assistance to nearly 1.7 million
people."

The attacks follow the issuing by the International Criminal Court of
arrest warrants on five LRA leaders during October. News reports have
also quoted Oxfam's Uganda country director, Emma Naylor, saying the
issuing of the warrants had triggered some fear among residents of
northern Uganda about the consequences.

[The Lord's Resistance Army is a paramilitary group operating mainly in
northern Uganda, engaged in armed rebellion against the Ugandan
government since 1987.]

Article from: Ecumenical News International By Fredrick Nzwili

http://www.aco.org/acns/digest/index.cfm?years=2005&months=11&article=49
1&pos=#491

(490) 08-November-2005 - ACO seeks part-time Communications Assistant -
ACO

The Anglican Communion Office is the permanent secretariat for the
Lambeth Conference, the Primates Meeting and the Anglican Consultative
Council (ACC) and supports the world-wide work of the Anglican Church.
Applications are invited for the part-time post of Communications
Assistant. It is envisaged that the appointee will work 21 hours a week,
over 3, 4, or 5 days as he/she prefers, providing there is a degree of
flexibility when necessary.

The appointee will report to the Director of Communications and will be
required to research news stories for our website and Anglican Episcopal
World magazine and upload articles to our website. In addition, it is
expected that the appointee will carry out related administrative
duties, provide PA support to the Director as well as assisting with
press conferences and meetings as required.

Characteristics Sought:

First rate oral and written skills
Familiarity with the Anglican Communion
Diplomatic and comfortable dealing with the press
Organised with good PA and IT skills

The Secretariat is located in Westbourne Park near Paddington.

The salary is circa £14,700

There is a pension scheme and five weeks leave.

The deadline for applications is Tuesday 22 November 2005.

For more information regarding this post, please telephone [+44] (0)20
7313-3900

Please send your CV, with a covering email, to:
Andrew Franklin (Director of Finance and Administration)
andrew.franklin@anglicancommunion.org

All applications and enquiries will be treated in strict confidence.

http://www.aco.org/acns/digest/index.cfm?years=2005&months=11&article=49
0&pos=#490

(489) 08-November-2005 - New Suffragan Bishops for the Diocese of
Sherwood and Plymouth. - England

The Queen has approved the nominations of the Reverend Canon Anthony
Porter to the Suffragan See of Sherwood, in the Diocese of Southwell,
in succession to the Right Reverend Alan Wyndham Morgan and the
nomination of the Reverend Canon John Frank Ford to the Suffragan See
of Plymouth, in the Diocese of Exeter, in succession to the Right
Reverend John Henry Garton.

Notes for Editor:

Anthony Porter (aged 53) trained for ordination at Ridley Hall,
Cambridge. From 1977 to 1980 he served his first curacy at Edgware
Parish Church in the London diocese and from 1980 to 1983 served his
second curacy at St Mary's Haughton Green in the Manchester Diocese.
>From 1983 to 1987 he was Priest in Charge of Christ Church, Bacup and
Vicar from 1987 to 1991. He became Rector of Rusholme, Holy Trinity in
1991 and Honorary Canon of Manchester Cathedral in 2004.

Tony is married to Lucille, a part-time I.T. tutor, and they have two
sons and two daughters. Tony enjoys sport, having played cricket and
hockey for many years.

John Ford (aged 53) studied for the ordained ministry at Chichester
Theological College. He served his curacy at Christ Church Forest Hill
in Southwark Diocese from 1979 to 1982. He was Vicar of St Augustine,
Lee from 1982 to 1991. From 1991 to 1994 he was Vicar of Lower Beeding,
Chichester Diocese and domestic chaplain to the Bishop of Horsham. He
was the Chichester Diocesan Missioner from 1994 to 2000 and from 1997 to
2000 was also Canon and Prebendary of Chichester Cathedral. He became
Precentor and Canon Residentiary of Chichester Cathedral in 2000.

John Ford is married to Bridget, a staff nurse, and they have three
sons. His interests include travel, cooking, watching football, playing
and watching cricket.

http://www.aco.org/acns/digest/index.cfm?years=2005&months=11&article=48
9&pos=#489

(488) 08-November-2005 - Bishop Buckle elected Metropolitan of B.C. and
the Yukon - Canada

November 5, 2005 - Electors in the ecclesiastical (church) province of
British Columbia and the Yukon, meeting on Nov. 4 in Richmond, British
Columbia, near Vancouver, chose Bishop Terrence Buckle of the diocese of
the Yukon as metropolitan, or provincial archbishop.

Three bishops stood for election: Michael Ingham of the Vancouver-based
diocese of New Westminster, James Cowan of the Victoria-based diocese of
British Columbia and Bishop Buckle, who was elected after three ballots.
There were 21 electors: members of the provincial executive council and
the province's six diocesan bishops.

Archbishop Buckle, 64, had been acting metropolitan since the retirement
last year of Archbishop David Crawley, formerly bishop of Kootenay. He
was installed as metropolitan on Nov. 5 at St. Anne's church in
Richmond. He remains the diocesan bishop of the Yukon.

http://www.aco.org/acns/digest/index.cfm?years=2005&months=11&article=48
8&pos=#488